Destroying Syria’s chemical weapons by a June deadline was the focus of a White House meeting with the disarmament effort’s international overseer.
Deputy National Security Adviser Antony Blinken’s Friday meeting with Sigrid Kaag, the chemical-removal operation’s special coordinator, came more than a month after the Syrian government was scheduled to finish sending its chemical-warfare stocks to the port of Latakia for neutralization outside the country. Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime has blamed delays on threats to warfare materials in transit across the violence-ridden nation.
Blinken’s discussion with Kaag “focused on ensuring the Syrian government maintains regular, substantial and uninterrupted activities to remove its chemical weapons to enable destruction in accordance with the June 30 deadline,” National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement.
The international chemical-arms watchdog on Friday said the speed of the chemical deliveries was increasing, and noted that 29 percent of the government’s declared arsenal had been removed from the country. A revised schedule reportedly gives Assad’s regime until April 27 to wrap up the deliveries to Latakia.
Damascus should maintain “systematic, predictable and substantial movements” of warfare materials, according to a statement by the 41-nation governing body of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
In Washington, though, the State Department said the Syrian government’s faster chemical-arms movements might not save it from missing the mid-year completion objective.
“Recent shipments are encouraging signs that Syria is accelerating [chemical-arms] movements to Latakia, but the regime’s previous lack of action has put the June 30 deadline for elimination of Syria’s program at risk,” spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a Friday press briefing.
Assad’s government agreed to surrender its chemical arsenal after an August nerve-gas attack on the edge of Damascus prompted threats of armed intervention in the Syrian civil war.
What We're Following See More »
"Two chief fundraisers for the Clinton Foundation pressed corporate donors to steer business opportunities to former President Bill Clinton as well, according to a hacked memo published Wednesday by WikiLeaks. The November 2011 memo from Douglas Band, at the time a top aide to Mr. Clinton, outlines extensive fundraising efforts that Mr. Band and a partner deployed on behalf of the Clinton Foundation and how that work sometimes translated into large speaking fees and other paid work for Mr. Clinton."
House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz plans to spend "years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton." Chaffetz told the Washington Post: “It’s a target-rich environment. Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it ain’t good.”
Priorities USA, the super PAC aligned with the Clinton campaign, which has already gotten involved in two Senate races, is now expanding into House races. The group released a 30 second spot which serves to hit Donald Trump and Iowa Rep. Rod Blum, who is in a tough race to win re-election in Iowa's first congressional district. The super PAC's expansion into House and Senate races shows a high level of confidence in Clinton's standing against Trump.
Republican House leaders are planning on taking up a vote to renew the Iran Sanctions Act as soon as the lame-duck session begins in mid-November. The law, which expires on Dec. 31, permits a host of sanctions against Iran's industries, defense, and government. The renewal will likely pass the House, but its status is unclear once it reaches the Senate, and a spokesman from the White House refused to say whether President Obama would sign it into law.