New Air Tests Show No Contaminants at U.S. Nuclear-Waste Site

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
March 10, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

New checks turned up no es­caped ra­dio­act­ive particles in a U.S. waste-buri­al site placed off lim­its be­cause of a leak last month, the As­so­ci­ated Press re­ports.

Still, site ad­min­is­trat­ors left open the pos­sib­il­ity that es­caped ra­dio­act­ive ma­ter­i­als were linger­ing else­where in the un­der­ground stor­age area of the Waste Isol­a­tion Pi­lot Plant.

Work­ers used air- and salt-trans­fer tun­nels to place ra­di­ation scan­ners in por­tions of the New Mex­ico fa­cil­ity on Fri­day and Sat­urday, and the de­tec­tion gear was “not in the air­flow path com­ing from the area where the ra­di­ation re­lease ori­gin­ated,” ac­cord­ing to a joint press re­lease by the En­ergy De­part­ment and the Nuc­le­ar Waste Part­ner­ship, the stor­age site’s man­aging con­tract­or.

Over­seers barred per­son­nel from en­ter­ing the sub­ter­ranean com­plex fol­low­ing the de­tec­tion of es­caped con­tam­in­ants in­side the fa­cil­ity in Feb­ru­ary. Trace amounts of ra­dio­act­ive particles also turned up above the sur­face at the site, loc­ated roughly two dozen miles from the town of Carls­bad.

A team of spe­cial­ists could des­cend in­to the stor­age area later this week to en­sure its cor­ridors are not in danger of col­lapsing, and to at­tempt to track down the ori­gin of the ra­di­ation leak, the of­fi­cials said. Upon loc­at­ing the point where con­tam­in­ants were es­cap­ing, the per­son­nel would seal it off and ex­ecute a strategy to trans­fer it out, ac­cord­ing to the Sunday state­ment.

Sep­ar­ately, ad­min­is­trat­ors said they had found evid­ence of ra­di­ation ex­pos­ure in four ad­di­tion­al per­son­nel, rais­ing the total num­ber of af­fected work­ers to 17.

“The levels of ex­pos­ure are ex­tremely low, and none of the em­ploy­ees is ex­pec­ted to ex­per­i­ence any health ef­fects from the ex­pos­ures,” the state­ment says.

What We're Following See More »
SANS PROOF
NRA Chief: Leftist Protesters Are Paid
21 hours ago
UPDATE
NEW TRAVEL BAN COMING SOON
Trump Still on Campaign Rhetoric
23 hours ago
UPDATE
“WE’RE CHANGING IT”
Trump Rails On Obamacare
1 days ago
UPDATE

After spending a few minutes re-litigating the Democratic primary, Donald Trump turned his focus to Obamacare. “I inherited a mess, believe me. We also inherited a failed healthcare law that threatens our medical system with absolute and total catastrophe” he said. “I’ve been watching and nobody says it, but Obamacare doesn’t work.” He finished, "so we're going to repeal and replace Obamacare."

FAKE NEWS
Trump Goes After The Media
1 days ago
UPDATE

Donald Trump lobbed his first attack at the “dishonest media” about a minute into his speech, saying that the media would not appropriately cover the standing ovation that he received. “We are fighting the fake news,” he said, before doubling down on his previous claim that the press is “the enemy of the people." However, he made a distinction, saying that he doesn't think all media is the enemy, just the "fake news."

FBI TURNED DOWN REQUEST
Report: Trump Asked FBI to Deny Russia Stories
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN. But a White House official said late Thursday that the request was only made after the FBI indicated to the White House it did not believe the reporting to be accurate."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login