Israel, Arab Nations Reconvene Talks on Mideast WMD Ban

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
March 10, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

Middle East­ern na­tions held a third meet­ing to weigh hold­ing a con­fer­ence on a po­ten­tial re­gion­al un­con­ven­tion­al-arms ban, the Wall Street Journ­al re­ports.

The Feb­ru­ary gath­er­ing in Gli­on, Switzer­land, ap­peared un­likely to lead to yield rap­id pro­gress to­ward a pro­posed con­fer­ence on es­tab­lish­ing a Middle East­ern weapons of mass de­struc­tion-free zone, ac­cord­ing to a source who took part. Last month’s dis­cus­sion took place un­der the lead­er­ship of Finnish dip­lo­mat Jaakko Laa­java, the U.N.-backed fa­cil­it­at­or of ef­forts to con­vene the re­gion­al con­fer­ence sought in 2010 by Nuc­le­ar Non­pro­lif­er­a­tion Treaty mem­ber na­tions.

Des­pite the dia­logue’s ap­par­ent lack of short-term pro­spects, the source and in­formed en­voys said that con­tin­ued par­ti­cip­a­tion by mid-level Is­raeli and Ar­ab del­eg­ates mer­its some de­gree of op­tim­ism.

A Middle East­ern en­voy who joined last month’s dis­cus­sion said the ex­change has “def­in­itely been use­ful.”

Is­rael has joined the pre­lim­in­ary dis­cus­sions in spite of con­cerns that Ar­ab neigh­bors could tar­get its widely as­sumed status as the re­gion’s only nuc­le­ar-armed state. Is­rael has neither con­firmed nor denied pos­sess­ing an atom­ic ar­sen­al.

Ir­an dis­patched a low-rank­ing dig­nit­ary to “ob­serve” an earli­er meet­ing in Gli­on, but no Ir­a­ni­an del­eg­ate joined the sub­sequent meet­ings. Tehran is widely sus­pec­ted of pur­su­ing a nuc­le­ar-arms cap­ab­il­ity un­der the guise of a peace­ful atom­ic pro­gram.

Is­rael and the United States have ex­pressed con­di­tion­al sup­port for a po­ten­tial re­gion­al WMD ban, but con­tend that such an ar­range­ment is un­likely in the ab­sence of a broad­er Ar­ab-Is­raeli peace ar­range­ment.

What We're Following See More »
ANNOUNCED BY SCARAMUCCI
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Is New Press Secretary
4 hours ago
THE LATEST
SAYS IT WAS “AN HONOR”
Spicer Staying on Through August
4 hours ago
THE LATEST
FIRST IN WEEKS
On-Camera Press Briefing Today at 2
5 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
HE LASTED SIX MONTHS
Sean Spicer Resigns
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

He resigned this morning, "telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director." Per Politico, "chief of staff Reince Priebus and chief strategist Steve Bannon" were opposed to the appointment, while "Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, and Deputy National Security Adviser Dina Powell" were supportive..."Another White House official said Spicer was gracious while breaking the news of his departure, offered some praise for Scaramucci, while saying he would help with a transition."

Source:
STAFF IS PUSHING BACK
Trump Wants Scaramucci to Helm WH Communications
8 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login