Syria’s regime recently handed over more of its chemical arms, but it has been slow to give up its deadliest substances, newly released figures indicate.
Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government on Friday and Monday placed separate batches of warfare chemicals on foreign freighters docked at the port of Latakia, according to fresh data circulated by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. The watchdog agency is overseeing a global effort to remove and destroy the full Syrian arsenal by the end of June.
The regime’s ninth and tenth chemical shipments were partly composed of “Priority 1” agents, which international authorities have said represent the most dangerous component of Assad’s chemical stockpile.
Damascus has given up a far greater proportion of its materials deemed less dangerous, though. It has shipped out more than four-fifths of its lower-grade chemical warfare stocks, but only 29.5 percent of the Priority 1 stocks, according to the OPCW statement.
In total, Assad’s government has relinquished “more than 45 percent” of its declared stockpile, the international watchdog agency said in an e-mail. The government agreed to hand over its chemical weapons last September, weeks after a sarin nerve agent release allegedly killed more than 1,400 people in an opposition-held suburb of the Syrian capital.
Syria’s government currently is expected to finish shipping out its chemical arms by the middle of April. The 41-nation OPCW Executive Council originally demanded that Damascus finish handing over its Priority 1 stocks by the end of last year, and its remaining materials by early February.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.