A congressional committee on Wednesday criticized U.S. federal agencies for failing to detect and prevent last spring’s attack on the Boston Marathon.
A House Homeland Security Committee report criticized the Customs and Border Protection office, the FBI and other U.S. entities for their failure to adequately exchange information on Tamerlan Tsarnaev — one of the two men alleged to have concocted and carried out the bombing attack last April, the Boston Globe reported. Tsarnaev, who was killed in a shootout with police several days after the bombing, was initially investigated by the FBI in 2011.
His younger brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is scheduled to go on trial in November for his alleged participation in the terrorist attack, which killed several people and injured more than 250.
“The committee is … concerned that officials are asserting that this attack could not have been prevented, without compelling evidence to confirm that is the case,” states the 37-page House committee report.
Panel staff lay out in the document how Customs officials dropped the ball when they had a chance to take in the elder brother for questioning at JFK Airport in New York, following warnings raised when he bought tickets to fly to and from Russia in 2012.
“There were opportunities in which greater sharing of information might have altered the course of events,” the report reads. “Such failures should not be allowed to persist.”
FBI spokesman Paul Bresson said the bureau had already moved to implement some of the report’s suggestions. A spokesman for the Homeland Security Department, which includes the Customs office, said the department had acted similarly in pursuing “steps to identify and address coordination issues raised as a result of the investigation.”
The House report is the first of a number of formal government assessments of the Boston bombing that are slated to be published over the next several months.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump has chosen Gen. James Kelly to be his secretary of homeland security, making Kelly the third general tapped by Trump to serve in his administration. The official announcement is likely to come in the next couple of days. Kelly, who did not endorse Trump during the campaign, "was the commander of U.S. Southern Command until earlier this year."