Lawmakers Challenge Obama’s Spending Authority to Halt Plutonium Project

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 1, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

Twenty-one law­makers on Monday said Pres­id­ent Obama can­not draw from a plutoni­um-con­ver­sion plant’s con­struc­tion fund to keep the pro­ject on hold.

The En­ergy De­part­ment’s 2015 budget pro­pos­al calls for paus­ing work on the un­fin­ished plant, which would con­vert bomb plutoni­um in­to mixed-ox­ide re­act­or fuel at the Sa­van­nah River Site in South Car­o­lina. The MOX fa­cil­ity con­struc­tion began after Wash­ing­ton and Mo­scow agreed to be­gin in 2018 to elim­in­ate plutoni­um from their stock­piles.

Con­gress “ex­pli­citly” des­ig­nated funds in fisc­al 2014 for “con­struc­tion” of the fa­cil­ity, the le­gis­lat­ors said in a let­ter to En­ergy Sec­ret­ary Ern­est Mon­iz. Missive sign­ers in­cluded South Car­o­lina’s sev­en House rep­res­ent­at­ives, as well as law­makers from Flor­ida, Geor­gia, Louisi­ana, Ten­ness­ee, North Car­o­lina, Vir­gin­ia and Wash­ing­ton state.

“The funds were not au­thor­ized or ap­pro­pri­ated for cold-standby, and we re­quest they be used only for con­struc­tion as Con­gress in­ten­ded,” the let­ter says. “The in­tent of Con­gress is be­ing ig­nored and as a res­ult we may see a usurp­a­tion of Con­gress’ power of the purse.”

The law­makers ad­ded they had “nev­er seen” how the Army Corps of En­gin­eers de­term­ined that the MOX plant would cost $30 bil­lion to build and main­tain, and they pressed for dis­clos­ure of the cal­cu­la­tions.

“Moreover, we re­quest a study to ana­lyze the cost as­so­ci­ated with pla­cing MOX in­to cold-standby, which is es­tim­ated to be between $700 and $900 mil­lion,” they wrote.

Mean­while, con­struc­tion of the MOX fa­cil­ity is pro­ceed­ing, us­ing cur­rent-year funds, the Au­gusta Chron­icle re­por­ted on Monday.

“We con­tin­ue build­ing the MOX Fuel Fab­ric­a­tion Fa­cil­ity un­der our [fisc­al year] 2014 budget and dir­ec­tion,” Kelly Trice, pres­id­ent of Shaw Areva MOX Ser­vices, said in a state­ment to site work­ers.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
23 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
1 days ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×