A trio of House lawmakers is urging against providing any funds in the next fiscal year for the decommissioning of U.S. intercontinental ballistic missile silos.
U.S. Representatives Steve Daines (R-Mont.), Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) and Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) on Wednesday wrote to the senior Republican and Democratic members of the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee urging them to include new language in upcoming fiscal 2015 spending legislation. The proposed provision would bar the Pentagon from using any budgeted funds to “reduce, convert, decommission, or otherwise move to nondeployed status” any active ICBM silos.
The Republican lawmakers hail from the three states that host the nation’s arsenal of roughly 450 Minuteman 3 missiles.
The New START accord with Russia requires the United States by 2018 to reduce to 700 the total number of strategic missiles and bomber aircraft that are actively deployed, with an additional 100 systems permitted in reserve. However, the matter of beginning the work required to mothball some of the Minuteman silos is a political hot potato in Congress.
A bipartisan coalition of lawmakers worked together last year to insert language in the omnibus fiscal 2014 spending law that forbids the Pentagon from using any appropriated funds to carry out environmental studies on silo decommissioning. The Air Force last month put on hold a nascent effort to conduct a preliminary environmental assessment on silo shut-downs, after a number of lawmakers accused the Pentagon of violating the spending law.
Daines, Lummis and Cramer in their Wednesday letter urged against providing any funding to the Pentagon that “may be used to prepare for or conduct an environmental impact study, environmental assessment, or other environmental study.”
What We're Following See More »
"President Trump said he plans to call Saudi Arabian King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud about the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Trump spoke on Saturday during an appearance in the Oval Office with Pastor Andrew Brunson, who was recently released by the Turkish government."
Asked by Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes on Sunday night, President Trump said he thought he treated Dr. Christine Blasey Ford fairly, even as he was accused of poking fun of her at a rally. He then declined to address the issue further, saying "I'm not going to get into it, because we won. It doesn't matter. We won."
"The Turkish government has told U.S. officials that it has audio and video recordings that prove Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul this month, according to U.S. and Turkish officials. The recordings show that a Saudi security team ... killed him and dismembered his body, the officials said." Late Thursday, Turkey agreed to form a joint committee with Saudi Arabia to investigate Khashoggi's disappearance, signaling Saudi Arabia's likely intent to preempt sanctions from the United States. Members of Congress have asked President Trump curb weapons sales to Saudi Arabia.