April 15 is the new deadline to finish Obamacare health insurance applications, administration officials announced Thursday.
“For those in line on the 31st, we encourage consumers to finish the process as soon as possible,” Alicia Hartinger, spokeswoman at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said in an email. “They must complete their enrollment by no later than the 15th for coverage this year.”
The extended sign-up time frame has made insurance companies nervous, as they fear a loose deadline will allow more customers to wait until their health expenses are higher.
But the administration granted some consumers more time to sign up for coverage due to high traffic on HealthCare.gov during the days leading up to the broader March 31 deadline. Some were put in a queue or asked to come back later when there were fewer people trying to get their applications through the system. The federal online exchange fielded more than 3 million visits on March 31.
Some people will qualify for extra time to enroll beyond the April 15 cut-off. According to guidance posted on HealthCare.gov, people who continue to have trouble with their applications qualify for a “special enrollment period” that could allow them up to 60 days to sign up after the event.
And qualifying life events — such as losing a job, getting married, or having a baby — allow Americans to sign up for health insurance outside of the open enrollment period. Low-income and disabled persons who qualify for Medicaid can also enroll at any time.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."
"A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress. The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order."