Japan’s case for stockpiling plutonium risks being undercut by new, local moves to stop the nation’s power plants from running on the bomb-usable material.
Japanese community officials described new legal steps in opposing the use of mixed-oxide fuel — a plutonium-uranium blend considered potentially more hazardous than other reactor material — as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s government prepared to authorize the first reactivation of atomic sites since the 2011 Fukushima plant disaster. The city of Hakodate last week sued to stop work on a nearby MOX fuel reactor, and Shizuoka prefecture’s governor said he wants to reverse his predecessor’s approval of its use.
The moves came as Abe’s administration prepared as soon as Friday to finalize an energy policy calling for the separation of additional plutonium from nuclear waste, the New York Times reported. This ties in with the planned launch of the Rokkasho reprocessing facility, which could generate yet more plutonium on top of 9 tons it has stockpiled thus far, enough to power 2,000 nuclear arms.
One nonproliferation expert said public opposition to MOX fuel is a relatively recent development in Japan. Relatively few Japanese reactors are slated to run on the material, and the new local steps could further undermine the case for Rokkasho’s launch, Henry Sokolski, executive director of the Nonproliferation Policy Education Project in Washington, told Global Security Newswire on Tuesday.
“There really is no practical way to irradiate large quantities of the surplus plutonium anytime soon, with the reactors they have or are planning,” said Sokolski. “Given how much plutonium they already have, plus what they intend to produce, the idea that you can eliminate these plutonium stocks in reactors is preposterous.”
He also noted China’s vocal opposition to any increased Japanese plutonium production.
Correction: This article was updated to more accurately characterize the plutonium-separation component of Japan’s Rokkasho facility and to include additional explanation by Henry Sokolski.
What We're Following See More »
"Former FBI Director Robert Mueller has been cleared by U.S. Department of Justice ethics experts to oversee an investigation into possible collusion between then-candidate Donald Trump's 2016 election campaign and Russia." Some had speculated that the White House would use "an ethics rule limiting government attorneys from investigating people their former law firm represented" to trip up Mueller's appointment. Jared Kushner is a client of Mueller's firm, WilmerHale. "Although Mueller has now been cleared by the Justice Department, the White House may still use his former law firm's connection to Manafort and Kushner to undermine the findings of his investigation, according to two sources close to the White House."
Senate Intelligence Committee chairman Richard Burr (R-NC) and ranking member Mark Warner (D-VA) will subpoena two businesses owned by former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn. Burr said, "We would like to hear from General Flynn. We'd like to see his documents. We'd like him to tell his story because he publicly said he had a story to tell."
At an open hearing of the House Intelligence Committee, former CIA chief John Brennan said he saw information on Trump-Russia contacts that were worth a further look. "Having been involved in many counterintelligence cases in the past, I know what the Russians do. They try to suborn individuals," Brennan said. "And they try to get individuals, including U.S. persons, to act on their behalf, whether wittingly or unwittingly. And I was worried by a number of the contacts that the Russians had with U.S. persons, and so therefore by the time I left office ... I had unresolved questions in my mind."
"President Trump is moving rapidly toward assembling outside counsel to help him navigate the investigations into his campaign and Russian interference in last year’s election, and in recent days he and his advisers have privately courted several prominent attorneys to join the effort. By Monday, a list of finalists for the legal team had emerged, according to four people briefed on the discussions."
"President Trump asked two of the nation’s top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, according to current and former officials. Trump made separate appeals to the director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and to Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, urging them to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of collusion during the 2016 election."