A project to revamp the U.S. B-61 nuclear bomb achieved a key milestone when one of its new variants passed a first full-scale, wind-tunnel test.
The U.S. National Nuclear Security Administration announced the completed assessment in a Monday press release, noting that the accomplishment by its Sandia National Laboratories brings the so-called “B-61-12” Life-Extension Program one step closer to planned “drop tests” next year.
The eight-day assessment took place in a transonic wind tunnel — which allows for the testing of aerospace products at extremely fast speeds — at the Arnold Engineering Development Center in Tennessee. The trial consisted of a number of different simulated flight environments that examined how well the B-61’s forthcoming “Mod 12” variant handles “counter-torque,” a phenomenon in which the plumes from rocket motors work against the performance of the tail fins, according to Sandia.
“This wind tunnel test helps to understand the B-61-12 flight characteristics in preparation for our first three full-scale development drop tests,” agency Deputy Administrator for Defense Programs Don Cook said in provided comments.
Because the Mod 12 variant is equipped with a tail section that is notably different than earlier versions of the B-61, a wind tunnel test was necessary to determine that the new component can perform in the required spin environment during flight, said Vicki Ragsdale, a B-61-12 technical basis test engineer at Sandia, in a separate Monday release from the laboratory.
The project to modernize the B-61 involves the restoration of atomic and conventional parts and is aimed at extending the service life of the gravity bomb, which is currently deployed in support of NATO nuclear deterrence in Europe. The Mod 12 variant is intended to supplant the current B-61-3, -4, -7, and -10 variants, in addition to supporting the planned mothballing of the large B-63 nuclear warhead.
- 1 Clinton Wins Debate, But Did She Win Over Voters?
- 2 Smart Ideas: The Most Important Election of a 96-Year-Old’s Lifetime; Clinton’s Pitch to Millennials
- 3 Senate Progressives Look to Flex Muscles in 2017
- 4 The District Where Democrats Want a Gun-Control Debate
- 5 The House Republicans Still Mum on Trump
What We're Following See More »
"It was obvious he wasn't prepared." “He only mentioned her email scandal once." "I think he took things a little too personal and missed a lot of opportunities to make very good debate points." That's just a smattering of the reactions of some elected Republicans to Donald Trump's debate performance.
The conventional wisdom is already emerging that Donald Trump opened last night's debate well, but that he faded badly down the stretch. And most viewers apparently witnessed it. "The early Nielsen data confirms that viewership stayed high the entire time. Contrary to some speculation, there was not a big drop-off after the first hour of the 98-minute debate." Final data is still being tallied, but "Monday's face-off may well have been the most-watched debate in American history. CNN and other cable news channels saw big increases over past election years. So did some of the broadcast networks."
As Congress continues to bicker on riders to a continuing resolution, federal agencies have started working with the Office of Management and Budget to prepare for a government shutdown, which will occur if no continuing resolution is passed by 11:59 p.m. on Friday night. The OMB held a call with agencies on Sept. 23, one that is required one week before a possible shutdown. The government last shut down for 16 days in 2013, and multiple shutdowns have been narrowly avoided since then. It is expected that Congress will reach a deal before the clock strikes midnight, but until it does, preparations will continue.