Pentagon Plans to Ax Missile-Interceptor Redesign Under Sequestration

The Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle, seen in a photo released in late 2002. The Pentagon on Tuesday announced that if sequestration remains in effect in future years, it would cancel plans to redesign the troubled component.
National Journal
Rachel Oswald
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Rachel Oswald
April 16, 2014, 10:59 a.m.

The Pentagon would ax a re­design of the front-end kill vehicle atop its stra­tegic mis­sile in­ter­cept­or if fu­ture se­quest­ra­tion cuts re­main law.

Se­quest­ra­tion levels were re­laxed in de­fense spend­ing le­gis­la­tion for fisc­al 2014 and 2015. However, should these con­gres­sion­ally man­dated re­duc­tions slated for 2016 and bey­ond re­main in ef­fect, the De­fense De­part­ment plans to can­cel an ef­fort to cor­rect design prob­lems in its key mis­sile-de­fense in­ter­cept­or.

The De­fense De­part­ment re­vealed this budget­ing con­tin­gency plan for the Exoat­mo­spher­ic Kill Vehicle in a re­port re­leased on Tues­day, titled “Es­tim­ated Im­pacts of Se­quest­ra­tion-Level Fund­ing.” The de­part­ment also an­nounced it would elim­in­ate a sep­ar­ate pro­gram to ac­quire an ad­di­tion­al land-based, long-range radar in the event that spend­ing re­duc­tions re­quired un­der the 2011 Budget Con­trol Act will kick in, come fisc­al 2016.

The Exoat­mo­spher­ic Kill Vehicle is moun­ted atop the Ground Based In­ter­cept­or and is de­signed to des­troy in­com­ing bal­list­ic mis­siles by kin­et­ic force. The three most re­cent in­ter­cept tests that em­ployed the kin­et­ic tech­no­logy all ended in fail­ure, lead­ing the Pentagon’s head of weapons test­ing to re­com­mend a re­design earli­er this year. The long-range in­ter­cept­or is a crit­ic­al ele­ment of the broad­er Ground-based Mid­course De­fense sys­tem, which is con­sidered the prin­cip­al U.S. de­fense against a po­ten­tial stra­tegic mis­sile at­tack.

The de­part­ment’s Mis­sile De­fense Agency an­nounced in March it would seek a re­design of the EKV tech­no­logy and re­ques­ted $100 mil­lion for the pro­ject in fisc­al 2015. Total fund­ing for the pro­ject from fisc­al 2015 through fisc­al 2019 was planned to be $738 mil­lion. The bulk of pro­ject fund­ing was slated to come in fisc­al 2016 and 2017.

The Mis­sile De­fense Agency last month said it was re­quest­ing $80 mil­lion for the radar in the up­com­ing fisc­al year, which starts Oct. 1. The sensor is ex­pec­ted to mon­it­or the Pa­cific Ocean, in line with a dir­ect­ive by Con­gress un­der the fisc­al 2014 De­fense Au­thor­iz­a­tion Act to de­ploy an ad­di­tion­al X-band radar that would fo­cus on any threats com­ing from North Korea.

What We're Following See More »
BUT IS HE A YES VOTE?
Cornyn Attempting to Get McCain Back for Health Vote
1 hours ago
THE LATEST
“TIME HAD RUN OUT” FOR ILL BABY
Charlie Gard’s Parents End Legal Fight
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A lawyer representing Chris Gard and Connie Yates told the High Court 'time had run out' for the baby. Mr. Gard said it meant his 'sweet, gorgeous, innocent little boy' will not reach his first birthday on 4 August. 'To let our beautiful little Charlie go' is 'the hardest thing we'll ever have to do,' his mother said. Charlie's parents said they made the decision because a US doctor had told them it was now too late to give Charlie nucleoside therapy.

Source:
AGENCY SOUGHT TO DELAY IMPLEMENTATION
11 States Sue EPA Over Chemical Rule
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Eleven states have sued the Environmental Protection Agency over its June decision to delay implementation of a chemical safety rule" until 2019. "The state attorneys general, led by New York’s Eric Schneiderman (D), argue the rule is important for 'protecting our workers, first-responders and communities from chemical accidents' and should be allowed to take affect as planned by the Obama administration’s EPA.

Source:
ULTIMATUM ON ACA
Trump: You’re With Us Or Against Us
2 hours ago
THE LATEST
$1.6 BILLION SET ASIDE FOR WALL
House Freedom Caucus Chair: Shutdown Over Wall Funding Unlikely
3 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) on Monday said that funding for President Trump's controversial border wall is unlikely to cause a government shutdown. 'The odds of a government shutdown are very minimal when it comes to that,' the conservative lawmaker said at an event in Washington, D.C. 'I do think the funding of the border wall will happen,' he added. Appropriators have set aside $1.6 billion to fund new wall and fencing sections on parts of the U.S.-Mexico border covering a few dozen miles."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login