French President Francois Hollande said Paris has seen indications of a new chemical-arms attack against the Syrian opposition, the London Guardian reports.
Hollande on Sunday did not elaborate on what “information” his government holds, and he stressed that the data was not conclusive. Opponents of Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government have described nine possible incidents of chemical-weapons use over the last two months in the country’s civil war.
The apparent strikes were “much less significant than those in Damascus … but very deadly,” Hollande told the European broadcaster Radio 1.
The claims, which came from anti-Assad groups both outside of Syria and in the nation’s western and southern regions, linked the possible strikes to at least 10 deaths and additional injuries in the hundreds. Assad’s government agreed to surrender its chemical-warfare stockpile last year, after sarin nerve agent in August killed hundreds of people in an opposition-controlled suburb of the Syrian capital.
Still, the regime has denied responsibility for any chemical strikes. On Saturday, Iran’s Fars News Agency accused rebels of carrying out chlorine-gas attacks in the Syrian city of Homs.
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, which is helping to monitor the dismantlement of Assad’s arsenal, has said it would not review new allegations of Syrian chemical-arms use without a member country’s request.
The watchdog agency on Sunday said ships have removed roughly four-fifths of Assad’s chemical stockpile from Syria. The latest shipments would “contribute” to efforts to fully destroy the materials by the end of June, according to an OPCW statement.
Sigrid Kaag, the special coordinator of a U.N.-OPCW oversight operation, in Saturday comments said “the renewed pace in movements is positive and necessary to ensure progress towards a tight deadline.”
International authorities said Assad’s government has finished eliminating unfilled mustard-agent shells, and has taken steps to shutter sites for manufacturing and holding warfare chemicals.
What We're Following See More »
Following their meeting, President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico and Republican nominee for president, Donald Trump, briefly addressed the media, with Peña Nieto subtly rebuking Trump's rhetoric. While he spoke respectfully about Trump, Peña Nieto did not back down, saying that free trade has proved effective and that illegal immigration into America from the south has decreased over the last ten years while the flow of people and drugs into Mexico has increased. Additionally, he stressed that Mexicans in America are "honest" and "deserve respect." Trump responded, calling some Mexicans "tremendous people" while saying others are "beyond reproach." Trump laid out five important issues, including the end of illegal immigration and the ability for either country to build a wall or border. However, Trump said he did not discuss who would pay for the wall.
A divided Supreme Court "refused Wednesday to reinstate North Carolina’s voter identification requirement and keep just 10 days of early in-person voting. The court rejected a request by Gov. Pat McCrory and other state officials to delay a lower court ruling that found the state law was tainted by racial discrimination."
"Police say a woman walked into U.S. Rep. Danny Davis' office on Chicago's West Side, drank out of a bottle of hand sanitizer, poured the sanitizer over herself and set herself on fire with a lighter." The Democrat wasn't in the office at the time.
"The Department of Health and Human Services on Wednesday awarded 44 states, four tribes and the District of Columbia a combined $53 million in grants to expand access to treatment for opioid use disorders and ultimately aimed at reducing the number of opioid-related deaths." But HHS Secretary Sylvia Burwell and drug czar Michael Botticelli both called on Congress to approve the $1.1 billion Obama has requested to fight the opioid crisis.