The Pentagon is postponing plans to request congressional approval for a multiyear production contract for a new missile intended for fielding in Romania.
The Standard Missile 3 Block 1B is slated to be deployed in Romania next year as part of the Obama administration’s “phased adaptive approach” for European missile defense. Additionally, sea-based variants of the interceptor, which is designed to counter short- and medium-range ballistic missiles, are to be fielded on warships based in the Mediterranean.
However, the Defense Department’s Missile Defense Agency has determined the antimissile technology has not yet fulfilled all of the requirements to warrant a multiyear production order worth $3 billion to producer Raytheon, Inside Defense reported on Friday.
MDA spokesman Rick Lehner, in an email to the newsletter, said the agency still needs to show evidence of a consistent need for the antimissile technology, a stable design, reliable funding, a realistic price projection and the probability of significant savings compared to a yearly acquisition order.
The Pentagon is deferring until fiscal 2016 any effort to seek congressional authorization for a multiyear contract on the interceptor, according to Inside Defense.
Congress’ watchdog organization in a report issued earlier this month recommended the Missile Defense Agency hold off on ordering full production of the missile until a decision is made about needed modifications to the system’s hardware or software and until any design changes have been proven through testing. The Government Accountability Office recommendation followed an intercept trial last September in which one of the launched Block 1B missiles failed to perform for reasons not yet disclosed.
Some funds planned to purchase Block 1B systems between fiscal 2015 and fiscal 2019 have been shifted to other MDA initiatives. This was due to congressionally mandated sequestration cuts, which resulted in a “realignment of funds to higher priority ballistic missile defense system” activities, Lehner said.
The Defense Department anticipates fielding 100 Block 1B interceptors as part of the second phase of the administration’s European missile defense initiative. Amid concerns about the possibility of new Russian incursions against Eastern European countries, the timing of deployment of U.S. antimissile systems on the continent has taken on renewed geopolitical prominence.
What We're Following See More »
The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."
"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.
"Democratic and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are working on legislation that would limit deportations" under President-elect Donald Trump. Leading the effort are Judiciary Committee members Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is also expected to sign on.
Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as his secretary of defense, according to The Washington Post. Mattis retired from active duty just four years ago, so Congress will have "to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law that states secretaries of defense must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years." The official announcement is likely to come next week.