The standoff over Russia’s incursion in Ukraine has not prevented Moscow from verifying the elimination of 18 U.S. missile sites, the Associated Press reports.
Russian experts visited Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana on April 9 to ensure that each intercontinental ballistic missile firing site had been loaded with soil and crushed rock, and that their entryways could no longer seal shut. Their trip was one of eight annual checks Moscow can conduct at U.S. installations under the New START arms control treaty.
“Overall, we felt the process went smoothly,” said Col. Marne Deranger, vice commander of Malmstrom’s 341st Missile Wing.
The base learned of the planned visit one day before Russian specialists arrived in the company of staffers from the Pentagon’s Defense Threat Reduction Agency.
“From the time we started [the inspection], we had to be completed in 12 hours,” Richard Bialczak, a treaty compliance specialist for the missile unit, said in released comments. “We were able to get all 18.”
Bialczak added that the trip was the first of its type at the base, which hosts one-third of the U.S. land-based strategic missile fleet. The others are located at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota and F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming.
Workers rendered 16 more firing sites at the base inoperable after the April 9 visit, and Russian inspectors may check their elimination in a potential return visit, AP quoted Air Force personnel as saying. The base is expected to eliminate an additional 16 launch platforms previously operated by the 564th Missile Squadron, which disbanded in 2008.
As of 2018, New START will permit Russia and the United States to each maintain no more than a total of 800 deployed and nondeployed strategic missile launchers — on land or at sea — and nuclear-ready bomber aircraft.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.