Recent satellite images indicate that North Korea’s plutonium-production reactor is operating again following a reported possible shutdown.
In commercial satellite photos taken as recently as this month, water can be seen pouring out of the five-megawatt electric reactor, according to a Wednesday analysis by the Institute for Science and International Security.
The discharged water is most probably coming from a secondary cooling system used to chill the gas produced from the nuclear-reactor core, concludes the assessment by David Albright and Serena Kelleher-Vergantini. The water indicates either “testing or ongoing operation” of the graphite reactor, they said.
According to a separate image analysis by 38 North issued earlier this month, between December and February, Pyongyang may have temporarily shut down or significantly curtailed operations at the reactor in order to conduct emergency maintenance work necessitated by recent flooding.
None of the April photographs analyzed by the ISIS experts, though, showed signs of steam emanating from the reactor’s turbine building. Were steam being regularly emitted, it would indicate regular reactor operations, according to the analysis. It noted, however, that the lack of steam did not necessarily mean the facility was not being consistently operated.
North Korea disabled the graphite reactor in 2007 in accordance with a now-dead denuclearization agreement with Washington. The Kim Jong Un regime last spring announced that it would reactivate the reactor so it could begin producing fissile material for the country’s nuclear arms program.
Separately, North Korea’s uranium enrichment plant at Yongbyon appears not to have had any new exterior work done on it since it was last analyzed by the institute in December. This could mean that a previously detected construction effort to double the size of the enrichment facility has been completed, the institute said on Wednesday.
“North Korea could now be concentrating on installing equipment and even centrifuges inside the expanded building,” according to the analysis.
Correction: This article was changed after publication to accurately describe the graphite reactor analyzed by the Institute for Science and International Security.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."