Russia Rebuffs Nuclear-Arms Lawsuit by Marshall Islands

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 29, 2014, 7:54 a.m.

Rus­sia re­jec­ted as “un­groun­ded” an is­land ar­chipelago’s chal­lenge to Mo­scow’s com­pli­ance with nuc­le­ar dis­arm­a­ment com­mit­ments, RIA Nov­osti re­ports.

Rus­si­an For­eign Min­istry spokes­man Al­ex­an­der Lukashev­ich on Monday voiced sur­prise that his coun­try was tar­geted in last week’s leg­al ac­tion by the Mar­shall Is­lands, which played host to dozens of U.S. nuc­le­ar tests in the 1940s and 1950s. In cases filed at the In­ter­na­tion­al Court of Justice in The Hag­ue, Neth­er­lands, the is­land chain de­man­ded faster dis­arm­a­ment steps by all nine known and pre­sumed nuc­le­ar-cap­able na­tions.

“Rus­sia con­tin­ues to demon­strate its ef­fect­ive and con­sist­ent ap­proach to­ward the im­ple­ment­a­tion of its com­mit­ments un­der the [Nuc­le­ar] Non­pro­lif­er­a­tion Treaty,” Lukashev­ich said in re­leased com­ments.

He ar­gued that Mo­scow has sig­ni­fic­antly curbed its atom­ic ar­sen­al un­der deals reached with oth­er powers.

“Rus­sia has re­duced its stra­tegic [long-range] nuc­le­ar po­ten­tial by more than 80 per­cent and its non­stra­tegic nuc­le­ar weapons by three-quar­ters from their peak num­bers,” Re­u­ters quoted the for­eign min­istry as say­ing.

“We are con­vinced that the fil­ing of un­groun­ded law­suits does not help the cre­ation of fa­vor­able con­di­tions for fur­ther in­ter­na­tion­al ef­forts in the sphere of con­trol over arma­ments and non-pro­lif­er­a­tion of weapons of mass de­struc­tion,” Lukashev­ich ad­ded in the RIA Nov­osti art­icle.

The for­eign min­istry ad­ded, though, that “the in­ter­na­tion­al com­munity has made no ser­i­ous ef­forts” in 45 years to meet the non­pro­lif­er­a­tion treaty’s call for a suc­cessor pact al­low­ing for “com­plete dis­arm­a­ment un­der strict and ef­fect­ive in­ter­na­tion­al con­trol,” Re­u­ters re­por­ted.

Mo­scow “is open to in­ter­ac­tion with its NPT part­ners with the aim of seek­ing the most ef­fect­ive paths to real­iz­a­tion of the treaty,” ac­cord­ing to a min­istry state­ment.

What We're Following See More »
ANNOUNCED BY SCARAMUCCI
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Is New Press Secretary
4 hours ago
THE LATEST
SAYS IT WAS “AN HONOR”
Spicer Staying on Through August
4 hours ago
THE LATEST
FIRST IN WEEKS
On-Camera Press Briefing Today at 2
5 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
HE LASTED SIX MONTHS
Sean Spicer Resigns
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

He resigned this morning, "telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director." Per Politico, "chief of staff Reince Priebus and chief strategist Steve Bannon" were opposed to the appointment, while "Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, and Deputy National Security Adviser Dina Powell" were supportive..."Another White House official said Spicer was gracious while breaking the news of his departure, offered some praise for Scaramucci, while saying he would help with a transition."

Source:
STAFF IS PUSHING BACK
Trump Wants Scaramucci to Helm WH Communications
8 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login