House Armed Services Committee Republicans are pushing back against the Obama administration’s plans to delay selected efforts to modernize the U.S. nuclear arsenal.
In their version of annual defense-authorization legislation, which the panel released Tuesday, committee Republicans also continued their so-far unsuccessful efforts to limit the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board’s influence on the U.S. weapons complex.
The Obama administration’s fiscal 2015 defense budget looks to delay the controversial development of an interoperable warhead that could be used to replace two separate warheads fielded today by the Navy and Air Force.
Committee Republicans have concerns with this postponement — as well as other delays to modernization efforts — according to the panel’s legislation.
“With the proposed deferral of the first interoperable warhead, the Department has concurrently proposed to defer plans “¦ for a plutonium pit production capacity of 50 to 80 pits per year,” the bill says. “The committee believes that waiting over 15 years to achieve a responsive nuclear infrastructure is too great a risk to national security.”
The bill, which is up for a vote in the House panel’s Strategic Forces Subcommittee on Wednesday, would require the Energy secretary “to ensure that the nuclear security enterprise produces at least 30 war reserve pits during 2023, at least 50 war reserve pits during 2026 and, during a pilot period of at least 90 days during 2027, demonstrate the capability to produce war reserve pits at a rate sufficient to produce 80 pits per year.”
Pits are the core of an atomic weapon.
The bill also pushes back against the Obama administration’s proposed delay to a planned cruise-missile warhead modernization. The legislation would require the Energy Secretary “to deliver a first production unit for a nuclear warhead for the long-range standoff weapon not later than” 2025.
“The committee believes the proposed 3-year deferral of this cruise missile is contrary to the interests of national security,” the bill says. “Therefore, the committee recommends this provision to ensure warhead production for this cruise missile is deferred only one year.”
Committee Republicans are also continuing their legislative efforts to limit the influence of the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board. The bill would mandate that the inspector general of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission also serve as inspector general of the safety board. It would additionally limit the number of board employees to 120.
Last year, the committee’s version of the bill included a provision that would have enabled the Energy secretary to request cost-benefit analyses of any recommendations the independent safety board made. The language, along with a similar provision in the prior year’s bill, was eventually dropped in conference negotiations with the Senate.
Democrats feared last year’s provision would have drained the safety board’s resources and inhibited its ability to conduct important reviews. Committee Republicans, have argued the safety board reviews significantly increase the cost of work across the nuclear-weapons complex.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."