The Federal Communications Commission’s recent proposal to allow Internet service providers to charge websites for faster service is an “affront” to the open Internet, Sen. Al Franken said Tuesday.
The Minnesota Democrat sent FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler a letter blasting the net-neutrality regulations he introduced last week, saying the “fast lanes” undermine the core principles of net neutrality: openness and competition.
“Sanctioning pay-to-play arrangements would not preserve the Open Internet — it would destroy it,” wrote Franken, who is an outspoken supporter of net neutrality.
Such an arrangement would give “deep-pocketed” companies, such as Netflix or Facebook, an unfair advantage over small companies that would not be able to pay for faster service, he wrote.
“This proposal would create an online ‘fast lane’ for the highest bidder — shutting out small businesses and increasing costs for consumers,” Franken wrote.
Franken’s words echo the sentiments of many consumer-advocacy groups and liberal lawmakers, who have slammed the proposed regulations since they were introduced last week.
But Wheeler denies that his proposed rules would “gut” net neutrality, and he has promised to pursue stronger rules if these ones fall short.
“I believe this process will put us on track to have tough, enforceable Open Internet rules on the books in an expeditious manner, ending a decade of uncertainty and litigation,” Wheeler wrote in a blog post Tuesday.
The FCC first adopted net-neutrality rules in 2010, but a federal court struck them down in January. The original rules forbade Internet providers from blocking websites or discriminating against Internet traffic. Wheeler’s new proposal would still ban blocking, but would permit Internet providers to charge for faster speeds, as long as the arrangements are “commercially reasonable.”
The FCC’s five commissioners will vote to advance the proposal at the next open commission meeting on May 15. The commission will accept public comments on the new proposal before it is finalized.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.