North Korea may hold off on conducting a nuclear test until it feels the event will draw maximum global attention, Stars and Stripes reported.
Recent commercial satellite photographs of the North’s Punggye-ri nuclear test site reveal a great deal of activity that is likely related to preparations for anther underground atomic explosion, experts say. While some in South Korea predicted that Pyongyang would choose to detonate its fourth device during U.S. President Obama’s visit to Seoul last weekend, that never happened.
Ohm Tae-am, an analyst with the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses, told the newspaper on Thursday that the North might be delaying its test because other international events are attracting so much attention.
The April 16 sinking of a ferry filled with South Korean students has distracted Seoul, he said. “South Korea’s interest in inter-Korean relations has been pushed aside, and because of that, North Korea is not likely to conduct its fourth nuclear test now,” Ohm said.
Meanwhile, the “U.S. has its eyes on the Middle East and Ukraine right now,” said the analyst.
The North Korean foreign ministry on Tuesday said there was “no statute of limitations” for when Pyongyang might carry out its repeatedly threatened “new” kind of atomic demonstration.
The expert website 38 North in a Wednesday analysis of satellite images taken the day prior concluded a “high level of activity” continues to be seen at the test site.
“If North Korea follows previous test practices, a continued high level of activity indicates that a nuclear test is not yet imminent,” reads the brief by image expert Jack Liu. “Before the February 2013 detonation, all equipment, vehicles and personnel were withdrawn immediately before the blast.”
Liu said he could not see signs that any of the tunnels at the test site had been closed off, which is typically one of the final steps before a nuclear blast takes place.
What We're Following See More »
The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."
"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.
"Democratic and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are working on legislation that would limit deportations" under President-elect Donald Trump. Leading the effort are Judiciary Committee members Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is also expected to sign on.
Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as his secretary of defense, according to The Washington Post. Mattis retired from active duty just four years ago, so Congress will have "to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law that states secretaries of defense must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years." The official announcement is likely to come next week.