A House bill’s mandate that all nuclear missile silos be kept operational indefinitely has drawn opposition from some Democrats, Politico Pro reports.
The Republican-led House Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces in its Wednesday mark-up and approval of annual defense policy legislation included a requirement that the Defense Department maintain each of the silos currently housing a Minuteman 3 missile at least in “warm” status regardless of whether the weapon at a later date is removed from the underground launch chamber.
In accordance with the implementation of the New START pact with Russia, the Pentagon last month announced that between now and 2018 it would withdraw and place in reserve 54 of the intercontinental ballistic missiles but would keep their silos ready for potential future usage. The House bill provision appears to go further than the Pentagon’s stated plan, though, by requiring that all of the approximately 450 silos be kept operational indefinitely.
“A congressional provision to indefinitely prevent the reduction of missile silos undermines our military’s ability to determine optimal force structure and adapt to our security needs,” U.S. Representative Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.) was quoted by Politico Pro as saying. “It is only sensible that as we reduce the number of our nuclear weapons, we maintain the ability to appropriately size our nuclear force structure.”
Michael Amato, a spokesman for U.S. Representative Adam Smith (D-Wash.), said his boss thinks the missile silo requirement would place “an unnecessary and significant financial and strategic burden” on the U.S. military.
Smith is the senior Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee, and Sanchez sits on the panel’s Strategic Forces Subcommittee
Lawmakers from the three states that host the Minuteman 3 arsenal — Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming — have moved repeatedly to block any effort to reduce the Minuteman 3 arsenal.
What We're Following See More »
The White House on Wednesday laid out its plan for tax reform, with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin saying it would be "the biggest tax cut and the largest tax reform in the history of our country." The tax code would be broken down into just three tax brackets, with the highest personal income tax rate cut from 39.6 percent to 35 percent. The plan would also slash the tax rate on corporations and small businesses from 35 percent to 15 percent. "The White House plan is a set of principles with few details, but it’s designed to be the starting point of a major push to urge Congress to pass a comprehensive tax reform package this year," said National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn.
"An emerging government funding deal would see Democrats agree to $15 billion in additional military funding in exchange for the GOP agreeing to fund healthcare subsidies, according to two congressional officials briefed on the talks. Facing a Friday deadline to pass a spending bill and avert a shutdown, Democrats are willing to go halfway to President Trump’s initial request of $30 billion in supplemental military funding."
The Michael Flynn story is not going away for the White House as it tries to refocus its attention. The White House has denied requests from the House Oversight Committee for information and documents regarding payments that the former national security adviser received from Russian state television station RT and Russian firms. House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz and ranking member Elijah Cummings also said that Flynn failed to report these payments on his security clearance application. White House legislative director Marc Short argued that the documents requested are either not in the possession of the White House or contain sensitive information he believes is not applicable to the committee's stated investigation.