NATO Commander Says Russia Doesn’t Need to Invade to Take Over Eastern Ukraine

Moscow may be able to annex parts of eastern Ukraine without an overt military incursion.

Air Force General Philip M. Breedlove, Supreme Allied Commander, Europe and Commander of U.S. European Command. 
National Journal
Sara Sorcher
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Sara Sorcher
May 2, 2014, 10:47 a.m.

Rus­sia does not need to in­vade Ukraine to take over east­ern parts of the coun­try, NATO’s top mil­it­ary com­mand­er said Fri­day.

In­stead, Rus­si­an Pres­id­ent Vladi­mir Putin may be able to an­nex pieces of Ukraine simply by en­cour­aging un­rest among pro-Rus­si­an forces in­side the coun­try, said Air Force Gen. Philip Breed­love, who com­mands U.S. and European NATO forces.

“As little as a week and a half, two weeks ago, I would have put mil­it­ary in­cur­sion as the most likely out­come,” Breed­love told Na­tion­al Journ­al. “Now, I don’t take that op­tion off the table — [Putin] can still use it, his force is im­min­ently pre­pared to do that — but he may be able to ac­com­plish his ob­ject­ives with simply the un­rest his forces are caus­ing in east­ern Ukraine right now.”

Rus­sia has tens of thou­sands of troops sta­tioned along the bor­der un­der the aus­pices of a mil­it­ary ex­er­cise. Ukraine has ac­cused its neigh­bor of in­filt­rat­ing with gun­men mas­quer­ad­ing as loc­al mil­it­ants to seize build­ings and ter­rit­ory in east­ern Ukraine.

While Rus­sia denies this, Breed­love agrees the un­rest in Ukraine is “ab­so­lutely or­ches­trated and em­powered by Rus­sia.” If Putin con­tin­ues to suc­ceed in fo­ment­ing un­rest, and “dis­trust in the Kiev gov­ern­ment,” Breed­love said, “Putin “¦ may nev­er now have to come across the bor­der with the lar­ger land ele­ments.”

What’s hap­pen­ing now in east­ern Ukraine looks eer­ily fa­mil­i­ar to what happened in Crimea. Na­tion­al Journ­al‘s Mar­ina Koren de­tails Rus­sia’s emer­ging play­book for an­nex­ing an­oth­er coun­try’s ter­rit­ory. Un­marked troops once flooded in­to Crimea just as they are seiz­ing parts of east­ern Ukraine now. At first, there were only sus­pi­cions, not of­fi­cial con­firm­a­tion, that they were backed by Mo­scow. Only after Crimea was an­nexed did Putin own up to send­ing troops to oc­cupy and an­nex the ter­rit­ory.

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
9 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
14 hours ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
14 hours ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
1 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
2 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login