Newly detected digging at North Korea’s nuclear test site suggests that another atomic blast is not imminent, according to 38 North.
In an examination of commercial satellite photographs taken between April 25 and May 1 of the “West Portal” area of the Punggye-ri test site, 38 North image expert Nick Hansen notes that the Kim Jong Un regime appears to be “continuing and perhaps stepping up excavation activities resumed” late last month.
In his Friday analysis, Hansen notes that were North Korea preparing to conduct another underground nuclear test in the immediate future, it would be clearing the entire site of personnel and equipment instead of opening a new phase of its tunnel expansion work.
Repeated warnings by Pyongyang officials in recent weeks of a forthcoming “new” kind of nuclear test have had many North Korea watchers on tenterhooks, waiting to see when the country might conduct its fourth atomic blast, and what form it could take. However, the North’s foreign ministry last week said there was “no statute of limitations” for when it might conduct a nuclear test.
Apparent preparations for a nuclear test have been detected via satellite at the “South Portal” area of Punggye-ri. Hansen said the recent shifting of containers near one of the South Portal tunnel entrances “reinforces the conclusion that activity is still ongoing inside the tunnel.”
At a separate South Portal tunnel — where preparations for the suspected coming test have appeared most evident — it looked on Thursday like all crates had been removed from the entrance, according to Hansen. Still, “there is no evidence to suggest that the tunnel has been sealed in preparation for a detonation,” he said.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."