Mideast Talks Facilitator: ‘Divergent Views Persist’ on WMD-Free Zone

Iranian Shahab-2 and Shahab-3 missiles stand on display in front of a large portrait of Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in a square in south Tehran, circa September 2008. Iran has sat out the latest consultations aimed at convening a major conference to discuss banning weapons of mass destruction from the Middle East.
National Journal
Elaine M. Grossman
Add to Briefcase
Elaine M. Grossman
May 5, 2014, 7:18 a.m.

An en­voy fa­cil­it­at­ing talks on po­ten­tially ban­ning weapons of mass de­struc­tion from the Middle East had some pos­it­ive and neg­at­ive things to say last week.

On the one hand, Finnish dip­lo­mat Jaakko Laa­java said he and oth­er spon­sors of the pro­cess have been “im­pressed” by a “read­i­ness to en­gage” on the part of na­tions in the re­gion. He said Middle East par­ti­cipants “wish to make pro­gress,” and have taken an “open and con­struct­ive ap­proach” to the idea of hold­ing ma­jor talks in Hel­sinki, Fin­land.

On the oth­er hand, “di­ver­gent views per­sist re­gard­ing im­port­ant as­pects of the con­fer­ence,” Laa­java said. The chal­lenges will re­quire a “con­tin­ued con­struct­ive at­ti­tude and read­i­ness to find the ne­ces­sary com­prom­ises,” he said.

Laa­java was re­port­ing on Thursday to an on­go­ing Pre­par­at­ory Com­mit­tee meet­ing be­ing held in New York in ad­vance of next year’s five-year Re­view Con­fer­ence on the Nuc­le­ar Non­pro­lif­er­a­tion Treaty.

The vet­er­an dip­lo­mat is the des­ig­nated fa­cil­it­at­or of the U.N.-sponsored pro­cess to con­vene the Hel­sinki con­fer­ence, aimed at dis­cuss­ing a fu­ture WMD ban in the Middle East. Laa­java has led three con­sultat­ive ses­sions on the mat­ter since Oc­to­ber in Gli­on, Switzer­land, for re­gion­al states to in­form­ally con­sider how such a ground­break­ing in­ter­na­tion­al con­fer­ence might play out.

Seni­or rep­res­ent­at­ives of Egypt, Is­rael and oth­er key Middle East coun­tries have at­ten­ded the be­hind-closed-doors con­sulta­tions. Ir­an — whose nuc­le­ar activ­it­ies have drawn sus­pi­cions about pos­sible mil­it­ary ob­ject­ives that are now the fo­cus of talks between Tehran and six ma­jor powers — at­ten­ded the first Gli­on ses­sion last year but sat out sub­sequent meet­ings in Novem­ber and Feb­ru­ary.

At the Swiss re­sort town, the un­easy Mideast neigh­bors have been try­ing to hash out an agenda, lo­gist­ic­al de­tails and rules of pro­ced­ure for the ma­jor con­fer­ence of na­tions in Hel­sinki. No date has been set yet for the big gath­er­ing, but Laa­java said he hopes “con­sensus can be reached this year” about tim­ing. Fin­land stands ready to host it at “short no­tice,” he said.

Laa­java said the Gli­on ses­sions have “con­trib­uted to a bet­ter aware­ness and un­der­stand­ing” of the “pos­sib­il­it­ies and im­plic­a­tions” that a sum­mit in which na­tions dis­cuss such a ban could af­fect “peace and sta­bil­ity in the Middle East re­gion and bey­ond.”

Three na­tions are of­fi­cially spon­sor­ing the pro­cess as “con­veners”: Rus­sia, the United King­dom and the United States. However, like their Mideast coun­ter­parts, the con­ven­ing na­tions have bickered at times over the polit­ics and motives swirl­ing around the ne­go­ti­at­ing pro­cess.

Rus­sia and Egypt have cri­ti­cized the United States for al­low­ing a delay in hold­ing the Hel­sinki con­fab past Decem­ber 2012 — a dead­line set by the 2010 NPT Re­view Con­fer­ence — when Wash­ing­ton’s closest ally in the re­gion, Is­rael, would not con­firm its par­ti­cip­a­tion. Ben­jamin Net­an­yahu’s gov­ern­ment also has nev­er ruled out at­tend­ing such a con­fer­ence, but has en­joyed Wash­ing­ton’s sup­port in de­mand­ing that any such talks ac­com­pany a broad­er re­gion­al ef­fort to­ward re­gion­al se­cur­ity and con­fid­ence-build­ing.

Laa­java told NPT mem­ber na­tions last week that he would con­tin­ue to fa­cil­it­ate the in­form­al meet­ings and — in what may be a bid to Ir­an to reen­gage on the mat­ter — said the “act­ive in­put and con­tri­bu­tion by all states of the re­gion are needed.”

The Finnish en­voy also ap­peared to min­im­ize ex­pect­a­tions — voiced by Egyp­tians and oth­ers in past years — that the Hel­sinki con­fer­ence should launch ac­tu­al ne­go­ti­ations over cre­at­ing a zone free of nuc­le­ar, chem­ic­al or bio­lo­gic­al weapons in the Middle East.

Rather, na­tions should “ini­ti­ate a gradu­al change in the re­gion, from con­front­a­tion to co­oper­a­tion, with im­port­ant im­plic­a­tions to wider in­terests of re­gion­al and in­ter­na­tion­al peace,” Laa­java said.

Speak­ing to the same NPT Pre­par­at­ory Com­mit­tee meet­ing on April 28, An­gela Kane — the top U.N. of­fi­cial for dis­arm­a­ment af­fairs — said the ef­forts to ban the most dan­ger­ous weapons from the Middle East “have greatly be­nefited in re­cent months from the con­struct­ive en­gage­ment of the states of the re­gion in the series of mul­ti­lat­er­al con­sulta­tions con­vened in Gli­on.” She ex­pressed hope that the ma­jor Hel­sinki con­fer­ence could be held “as soon as pos­sible in 2014.”

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
23 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
1 days ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×