The Obama administration has come out against legislation that would temporarily keep certain Internet management functions under U.S. control.
The U.S. government plans to transfer oversight of the Internet’s address system to the “global community” next year.
Republicans fear the move could allow Russia, China, or other authoritarian regimes to seize power over the Internet and even censor websites. The House Energy and Commerce Committee is set to vote Thursday on the DOTCOM Act, which would block the Internet power transfer pending a study by the Government Accountability Office.
In a letter Tuesday, the Commerce Department said Congress is “well within its right to request a GAO report” even without legislation, but that the administration opposes the DOTCOM Act because it could derail the Internet oversight transfer.
Kelly Walsh, the Commerce Department’s general counsel, argued that the transition is part of the long-standing position of the United States to support the “multi-stakeholder” model of Internet governance, in which decisions are made by an array of nonprofits, companies, academics, and engineers.
By giving up authority over the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers — the nonprofit group that manages the Internet’s address system — the U.S. is strengthening the multi-stakeholder model and undercutting authoritarian regimes that are arguing for more government control of the Internet, she argued.
“By signaling a lack of confidence in the multistakeholder model, this legislation adversely impacts the ability of the United States and its allies to counter attempts by authoritarian regimes to obtain a greater role in Internet governance,” Walsh wrote.
She said the bill “sends the wrong signal to the global Internet community” and “reinforces the misapprehension that the U.S. government ‘controls’ the Internet.”
She emphasized that the U.S. won’t complete the power transfer until ICANN outlines a plan for Internet management that is free from control by any government.
The House committee is expected to approve the bill along party lines Thursday, but it’s unlikely to go anywhere in the Senate.
- 1 The 1 Easy Way Donald Trump Could Have Been Even Richer: Doing Nothing
- 2 Red-State Senate Democrats Make Their Play for Trump Voters
- 3 Race Is on to Add Another Woman to House GOP Leadership
- 4 Trump’s Interior Pick Poised to Shift Policy on Energy, Public Lands
- 5 Insurers Press GOP for Stable Market During Obamacare Repeal
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.