Syria’s final declared batch of warfare chemical cannot be extracted for destruction at this point because of heavy fighting, a U.N. official has confirmed.
“There is a lot of fighting taking place,” Sigrid Kaag, the diplomat overseeing Syria’s chemical disarmament, was quoted as saying on Thursday by the New York Times. “It’s not a situation where you want a chemical weapons convoy passing through.”
At a briefing with reporters in New York, Kaag provided perhaps the most specific information to date about the final eight percent of Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile that have yet to be removed from the country. Locked in place at an airfield east of Damascus are 100 tons of materials, packed into 16 containers, that could be used to make the deadly nerve agent sarin, the Associated Press reports.
Once officials can safely access the site, Kaag said it would take “less than a working week” to pack the materials and ship them to the port of Latakia, from which they could be taken for destruction to a U.S.-provided cargo ship modified for the mission.
While the materials were considered “safe and secure” at the regime-controlled airfield on Thursday, the rebel group threatening the site are “the more extreme kind,” the diplomat warned. “Global jihad has come to Syria.”
Kaag indicated that military action by the Syrian government was planned to push back the rebels.
“From their perspective, it is something that needs to happen because it is an important route, and it’s not far from Damascus,” she was quoted as saying by the AP.
Syria so far has removed roughly 92 percent of its declared chemical stocks, following a pledge to disarm last year in the wake of a sarin gas attack in a Damascus. The regime made the commitment because Western powers had considered a military strike.
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has sent inspectors to the country to investigate allegations that Syrian government forces recently used munitions filled with chlorine gas in the civil war.
What We're Following See More »
"In the biggest blow he’s dealt to the renewable energy industry yet, President Donald Trump decided on Monday to slap tariffs on imported solar panels. The U.S. will impose duties of as much as 30 percent on solar equipment made abroad, a move that threatens to handicap a $28 billion industry that relies on parts made abroad for 80 percent of its supply. Just the mere threat of tariffs has shaken solar developers in recent months, with some hoarding panels and others stalling projects in anticipation of higher costs."
Text from the Trump Administration's planned infrastructure program were published online. According to the documents, 50 percent of funds appropriated for the program will be used to encourage "state, local, and private investment in core infrastructure by providing incentives in the form of grants. Federal incentive funds will be conditioned on achieving milestones within an identified time frame." An additional 10 percent of funds are earmarked for "innovative or transformative" infrastructure projects, 25 percent for rural infrastructure projects, 7 percent for federal lending programs, and 5 percent to create a financing fund for "large-dollar real property purchases." White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said: “We are not going to comment on the contents of a leaked document but look forward to presenting our plan in the near future."
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said he's accepting Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's offer to hold an immigration vote at a later date, "clearing the way for passage of a bill to reopen the federal government" today. "McConnell early Monday promised to take up an immigration bill that would protect an estimated 800,000 Dreamers from deportation, under an open amendment process, if Democrats would agree to end the government shutdown."