Planners ended two weeks of talks without agreeing on guidance for the 2015 Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty review meeting, the Associated Press reports.
An insufficient amount of bargaining time was the primary culprit for the failure by diplomats to endorse a final text for advising participants in next year’s NPT Review Conference, said Peruvian Ambassador Enrique Roman-Morey, chairman of the last Preparatory Committee session ahead of the May 2015 review meeting.
The Peruvian official said he would still sign his own name to guidelines developed at the two-week Preparatory Committee meeting in New York.
He added that the speed of efforts to dismantle existing atomic arsenals “is a problem.” The 46-year-old nonproliferation treaty requires signatories in possession of atomic arsenals — China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States — to pursue “good faith” talks on nuclear disarmament.
Roman-Morey added that the rate of progress toward potential action to ban weapons of mass destruction from the Middle East “is also a very big issue.” Nonproliferation treaty signatories called in 2010 for governments to examine the possibility in a specially organized gathering, but that meeting still has not taken place.
The new Preparatory Committee document calls for the conference to take place before the end of 2014. Roman-Morey said his own view is that the meeting will take place this year, and he noted a Russian diplomat’s suggestion that it could be scheduled in December.
Finnish diplomat Jaakko Laajava, the meeting’s facilitator, has taken part in a number of related discussions involving Israel, Iran and other Middle Eastern nations. Roman-Morey said Laajava and the conference organizers — Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States — would hold additional planning talks that would partly address possible focuses of the gathering.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.