Iran and six key nations on Wednesday began work on a possible compromise text for resolving a long-running nuclear standoff, Reuters reports.
The start to the discussions in Vienna marked a turning point in a months-long push to clear up international fears that numerous Iranian atomic activities are directed toward development of a nuclear-arms capacity. Insiders have signaled possible progress over specific points of dispute — including an Iranian heavy-water reactor capable of generating bomb-usable plutonium — but negotiators must still determine how to assemble a complete agreement.
Success is far from certain, a high-level U.S. insider told reporters. Tehran denies harboring plans to potentially build an atomic arsenal, but has voiced openness to adopting long-term nuclear restrictions in exchange for sanctions relief from China, France, Germany, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
“This is very, very difficult,” the U.S. official said, adding that “no one can predict what the overall comprehensive plan of action will look like from dissecting any one piece of it in isolation.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif offered similar remarks after a Tuesday meeting with European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who has represented the six other negotiating powers.
“This is going to be a difficult and time consuming exercise,” the Xinhua News Agency quoted Zarif as saying.
An Ashton spokesman said envoys completed a “useful initial discussion” early on Wednesday, and would convene further planning sessions in coming hours, Reuters reported.
“We are now hoping to move to a new phase of negotiations in which we will start pulling together what the outline of an agreement could be. All sides are highly committed,” the spokesman said.
The sides are pushing to complete a final agreement by July 20, when an interim accord negotiated in November is slated to lapse.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."