French authorities detained six individuals believed to have joined an Islamist group and participated in combat in Syria, the Associated Press reports.
The alleged extremists went into custody on Tuesday, in an early-morning raid that came less than a month after Paris unveiled plans to stem the flow of French nationals into Syria. Officials in France, the United Kingdom and the United States have aired concerns that foreign fighters in the violence-torn state could receive training and inspiration to carry out attacks after they depart.
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Tuesday’s raid in the northeastern city of Strasbourg “went down perfectly,” and demonstrated “the total determination of the government to fight with all its power against terrorism and the enlisting of youths in violent radicalization.”
“I’m often asked what happens to people who leave to wage jihad in Syria when they return to France,” Cazeneuve said. “It’s simple: They’re connected with a terrorist enterprise, arrested and handed over to justice.”
A judge has received investigative responsibility for the six suspects, he added, without elaborating. The individuals remained in detention.
Cazeneuve did not comment on a news report tying Tuesday’s law-enforcement action to a probe of 14 youths suspected of traveling to Syria after telling their families they were leaving in December for holiday travel. The implicated men were said to have traveled through Turkey to reach the war-divided Middle Eastern nation.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.