U.S., China Eying ‘Various Options’ for N. Korea Nuclear Talks, South Says

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
June 10, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

Beijing and Wash­ing­ton are study­ing mul­tiple paths for re­start­ing frozen nuc­le­ar ne­go­ti­ations with North Korea, a South Korean dip­lo­mat said on Tues­day.

“South Korea, the U.S. and China have been seek­ing vari­ous op­tions to re­sume a mean­ing­ful dia­logue on de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion [with North Korea],” South Korea’s seni­or ne­go­ti­at­or to the para­lyzed six-party talks, Hwang Joon-kook, told the Yon­hap News Agency.

Hwang was speak­ing in Beijing, where he was sched­uled to dis­cuss the North Korean nuc­le­ar im­passe with his Chinese op­pos­ite at the six-na­tion ne­go­ti­ations, Wu Da­wei.

The mul­tina­tion­al aid-for-de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion ne­go­ti­ations in­volving China, the two Koreas, Ja­pan, Rus­sia and the United States have been at a stand­still since 2008. While Py­ongy­ang has voiced in­terest in re­turn­ing to the ne­go­ti­at­ing table, it has balked at tak­ing any ini­tial steps de­man­ded by Wash­ing­ton to end its nuc­le­ar arms activ­it­ies as a con­di­tion of the talks re­sum­ing. Beijing has ar­gued against pla­cing any pre­con­di­tions on fu­ture talks.

Else­where, Ja­pan­ese of­fi­cials are slated to vis­it San­dia Na­tion­al Labor­at­or­ies later this week as part of an Ex­ten­ded De­terrence Dia­logue with the United States, the U.S. State De­part­ment said in a Monday press re­lease.

The vis­it to the U.S. nuc­le­ar weapons com­plex in New Mex­ico is in­ten­ded to “deep­en [Ja­pan­ese] un­der­stand­ing of the stra­tegic weapons sys­tems that sup­port U.S. ex­ten­ded de­terrence guar­an­tees,” the de­part­ment said. Ja­pan is un­der the U.S. nuc­le­ar um­brella.

Sep­ar­ately, U.S. and South Korean air­men late last month con­duc­ted an ex­er­cise at Kun­san Air Base in­volving the re­sponse to a weapon of mass de­struc­tion, ac­cord­ing to a Monday U.S. Pa­cific Com­mand press re­lease. In ad­di­tion to its nuc­le­ar pro­gram, the North is as­sumed to have act­ive chem­ic­al and bio­lo­gic­al weapons pro­grams that of­fi­cials fear could be used in at­tacks against South Korea.

Mean­while, Singa­pore on Tues­day an­nounced the fil­ing of charges against a mer­chant firm, Chinpo Ship­ping Com­pany, for al­legedly help­ing to fa­cil­it­ate an il­leg­al arms deal between Cuba and North Korea that was un­covered last sum­mer, Re­u­ters re­por­ted. U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil sanc­tions out­law all weapons com­merce with Py­ongy­ang.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
11 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
12 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
13 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×