A high-ranking U.S. Capitol Police official — one of the department’s five deputy chiefs — is under scrutiny because of complaints that he engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate.
One of the issues is whether that relationship led to a transfer for the subordinate to what many on the force consider a plum new assignment in the department’s background-investigations section, according to multiple sources.
A grievance was submitted, but the union for Capitol Police officers says it is now taking a wait-and-see approach to how Police Chief Kim Dine handles the matter. The allegations have stoked significant indignation and resentment among many rank-and-file officers, some of whom are wary that anything will be done by Dine, who took over the department’s helm in December 2012.
“In the past, under different leadership, the union has felt that the department hasn’t handled allegations of inappropriate personal conduct, relationships, or sexual harassment involving supervisors properly,” according to an “official comment” provided Tuesday from the United States Capitol Police Labor Committee.
That statement continues: “As in any investigation, the union believes everyone is entitled to due process regardless of the circumstances. Out of respect to Chief Dine, who deserves a chance to change the culture within the USCP, we will withhold further comment until any investigation that may be going on is concluded and the facts are known.”
Sources have provided the names of the deputy chief and the officer, neither of whom returned telephone calls.
Many within the department’s ranks view the job transfer earlier this year as an abrupt elevation for the officer into the department’s administrative ranks. Her previous assignment was on a detail attached to the Senate office buildings outside of the Capitol.
“It’s a cushy job, and he got her the job,” said one department source, speaking of the deputy chief. The source spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing potential repercussions from departmental higher-ups.
In fact, so charged has become the atmosphere within the department that several officers this week disclosed that a formal grievance was submitted — and was even publicly posted for other union members to read. But they said the grievance has since been removed from a site, and that it was their understanding the officer involved found himself the subject of disciplinary action.
The chairman of the Capitol Police Labor Committee’s executive board, Jim Konczos, said that story is simply not true.
“The grievance was posted and removed because it listed names,” said Konczos, in an email response. He added, “The grievance was pulled at this time but could be resubmitted and rewritten at a later date.”
“Any grievance posted by the union will not name names,” said Konczos, who added that he did not know who posted it. “We grieve contract and policy violations, not individuals. There is never any reason to list names.”
Meanwhile, the U.S. Capitol Police Inspector General has been looking into the allegations of impropriety, according to sources.
Officially, Dine and the department are not saying much about the controversy.
A statement released Monday by a department spokeswoman — on the condition only that it be published in its entirety — underscored, “The U.S. Capitol Police does not comment on personnel matters to help ensure the integrity of our internal processes and investigations and the privacy of our employees.” And it added, “The Department cautions against publishing unsubstantiated information that may impact our employees’ professional and personal lives.”
The statement then offers that, “Generally, it is a management right to assign work to carry out the mission of the Department.”
“With regard to the authorities of the USCP Inspector General, the OIG is a statutorily established independent office and has the authority and responsibility to supervise and conduct audits, inspections, and investigations involving USCP programs, functions, systems, or operations,” the statement explained.
A spokeswoman for House Administration Committee Chairwoman Candice Miller, R-Mich., did not respond to inquiries about whether that panel has been made aware of the controversy.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.
Three million—a number that lays "bare the significant gap between Donald Trump’s bare-bones operation and the field program that Clinton and her hundreds of aides have been building for some 17 months."