White House Rebuffs Criticism of $5B Antiterror Plan

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
June 10, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

Obama of­fi­cials are fight­ing cri­ti­cism of their mult­i­bil­lion-dol­lar plan for shor­ing up an­ti­ter­ror­ism cap­ab­il­it­ies among U.S. part­ners, De­fense News re­ports.

The Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion’s re­quest for Con­gress to cre­ate a $5 bil­lion “coun­terter­ror­ism part­ner­ships fund” promp­ted ex­pres­sions of de­ri­sion from a num­ber of GOP law­makers and in­siders in­volved in fed­er­al budget plan­ning, the pub­lic­a­tion said on Monday. One source said the White House is still con­sult­ing with the State and De­fense de­part­ments on how to choose state re­cip­i­ents of the po­ten­tial aid for com­bat­ing ter­ror­ism threats.

“The White House is co­ordin­at­ing a very in­form­al, very ad-hoc pro­cess to fig­ure out what in the hell this is,” the in­sider said, adding that the Pentagon and State De­part­ment may not have provided in­put on the pro­pos­al pri­or to its un­veil­ing last month.

White House spokes­man Ed­ward Price dis­puted that as­ser­tion.

“The idea for this fund evolved out of months of co­ordin­a­tion from across seni­or levels of de­part­ments and agen­cies,” said Price, head of stra­tegic com­mu­nic­a­tions for the Na­tion­al Se­cur­ity Coun­cil.

The spokes­man dis­missed as “ab­so­lutely false” a sug­ges­tion that the ini­ti­at­ive could set off a scramble for an­ti­ter­ror­ism-as­sist­ance dol­lars by com­pet­ing fed­er­al agen­cies.

“This pro­gram is en­vi­sioned to build upon the ex­cel­lent co­oper­a­tion between State and De­fense,” Price ar­gued.

He ad­ded that the plan “would in­cor­por­ate ex­ist­ing tools and au­thor­it­ies.” Some crit­ics have said it was un­cer­tain wheth­er ap­pro­pri­at­ors could fund the pro­posed plan through ex­ist­ing stat­utory mech­an­isms, rather than abid­ing by the ad­min­is­tra­tion’s call to provide the aid as part of its re­quest for “over­seas con­tin­gency op­er­a­tions” in fisc­al 2015.

What We're Following See More »
DRAFT WRITTEN BY NSC
WH Never Released NIger Statement
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"A staffer at the National Security Council drafted a statement of condolence for President Donald Trump to make almost immediately after a deadly ambush of U.S. soldiers in Niger earlier this month. But Trump never issued the statement, and, some two weeks later, is now in hot water over his initial silence on the soldiers’ deaths and alleged controversial comments he made to a widow of one of the dead."

Source:
TOXICOLOGY REPORT PENDING
2 US Navy Sailors Die of Drug Overdose Same Week
3 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Two US sailors based at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay in Georgia have died of apparent drug overdoses in the last week, according to a US Navy public affairs officer." The submarine force and Kings Bay leadership have ordered more drug tests and are taking the events very seriously.

Source:
13.5 PERCENT OF U.S. POPULATION IMMIGRANTS
U.S. Immigrant Population Hit 43.7 Million in 2016
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS
Source:
ART THERAPY, HEALING WITH THE HEART
Second Lady Pence Rolls Out Initiative
5 hours ago
THE LATEST
SHOOTER STILL AT LARGE
Five Shot at Maryland Office Park
7 hours ago
THE DETAILS
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login