McCain Calls for Obama’s National Security Team to Resign Over Iraq

Fuming Republican senators blast the administration for abandoning Iraq as Sen. John McCain says Obama’s national security team should resign.

WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 21: Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) talks with reporters after stepping off the Senate floor at the U.S. Capitol November 21, 2013 in Washington, DC. The Senate voted 52-48 to invoke the so-called 'nuclear option', voting to change Senate rules on the controversial filibuster for most presidential nominations with a simple majority vote.
National Journal
Kevin Baron, Defense One
Add to Briefcase
Kevin Baron, Defense One
June 12, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

Roar­ing onto the Sen­ate floor as swaths of Ir­aq fall to in­sur­gent con­trol, Sen. John Mc­Cain, R-Ar­iz., said the en­tire Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion na­tion­al se­cur­ity team, in­clud­ing Joint Chiefs Chair­man Gen. Mar­tin De­mp­sey, should resign for fail­ing to keep Ir­aq se­cure.

“Could all this have been avoided? “¦The an­swer is ab­so­lutely yes,” Mc­Cain said. “If I sound angry it’s be­cause I am angry.”

Mc­Cain has re­mained Con­gress’ biggest ad­voc­ate for keep­ing U.S.mil­it­ary forces in Ir­aq to main­tain the se­cur­ity gains of the Ir­aq War, and its loudest crit­ic of the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion for fail­ing to con­vince Ir­aqi Pres­id­ent Nouri al-Ma­lik to per­mit U.S. troops to stay past 2011.

Pres­id­ent Barack Obama said his White House na­tion­al se­cur­ity team has been work­ing “around the clock” on op­tions for Ir­aq. “Ir­aq’s go­ing to need more help,” he said Thursday in the Oval Of­fice, “I don’t rule out any­thing be­cause we do have a stake in mak­ing sure that these ji­hadists are not get­ting a per­man­ent foot hold in either Ir­aq or Syr­ia, for that mat­ter.”

The United States is con­sid­er­ing “short term, im­me­di­ate things that will need to be done mil­it­ar­ily ““ and our na­tion­al se­cur­ity team is look­ing at all the op­tions,” he said.

Mc­Cain said Obama should re­place that team be­cause they failed to pro­tect Ir­aq and are mak­ing the same mis­take in pulling out of an equally vul­ner­able Afgh­anistan. Mc­Cain said Obama should in­stead re­call “those who suc­ceeded in Ir­aq.”

“It’s the time that the pres­id­ent got a new na­tion­al se­cur­ity team,” he said. He sug­ges­ted put­ting re­tired Gen. Dav­id Pet­raeus, the former com­mand­er of the Ir­aq war, U.S. Cent­ral Com­mand and the CIA, in charge. Mc­Cain said Obama also should re­call Mar­ine Corps Gen. Jim Mat­tis, former CENT­COM com­mand­er; re­tired Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Jack Keane, chair­man of the board for the In­sti­tute for the Study of War and lead ad­voc­ate for the Ir­aq surge; and Robert Kagan, seni­or fel­low at the Brook­ings In­sti­tu­tion, who was Mc­Cain’s seni­or for­eign policy ad­visor dur­ing his los­ing 2008 pres­id­en­tial bid against Obama.

Mc­Cain has long been a polit­ic­al and mil­it­ary op­pon­ent of De­mp­sey’s. Last year, he threatened to hold the chair­man’s pro forma con­firm­a­tion for a second term, and he has used sev­er­al hear­ings as a chance to prod De­mp­sey in­to ad­mit­ting the Ir­aq surge was a suc­cess, as Mc­Cain be­lieves. De­mp­sey and Mc­Cain have also faced off over De­mp­sey’s re­luct­ance to sup­port U.S. mil­it­ary in­volve­ment in the Syr­i­an civil war. On Thursday, Mc­Cain said, De­mp­sey “has gone along with this policy for a long time. We need a new chair­man.”

Mc­Cain also said “We need a new na­tion­al se­cur­ity ad­visor,” call­ing out Na­tion­al Se­cur­ity Ad­visor Susan Rice.

“What’s the pres­id­ent do­ing? Tak­ing a nap?” said House Speak­er John Boehner, R-Ohio, in a sep­ar­ate ap­pear­ance on Cap­it­ol Hill.

Sen­ate Armed Ser­vices Chair­man Carl Lev­in, D-Mich., in a state­ment noted that Ir­aq’s woes dated to the 2003 U.S.in­va­sion that was ex­ecuted “without ad­equate con­sid­er­a­tion for the con­sequences,” and con­tin­ued be­cause Ir­aqi lead­ers ig­nored U.S. pleas to find polit­ic­al unity after Amer­ic­an forces with­drew.

“It’s un­clear how air strikes on our part can suc­ceed un­less the Ir­aqi army is will­ing to fight, and that’s un­cer­tain giv­en the fact that sev­er­al Ir­aqi army di­vi­sions have melted away,” Lev­in said. “While all op­tions should be con­sidered, the prob­lem in Ir­aq has not been so much a lack of dir­ect U.S. mil­it­ary in­volve­ment, but a lack of re­con­cili­ation on the part of Ir­aqi lead­ers.”

But Mc­Cain in­dic­ated time won’t al­low for much de­lib­er­a­tion. “Every hour the op­tions be­come few­er and few­er as IS­IS, the most rad­ic­al ter­ror­ist group alive, sweeps across Ir­aq,” Mc­Cain said. He cri­ti­cized Obama for de­clar­ing the Ir­aq war over and with­draw­ing troops be­fore at­tain­ing “vic­tory.”

“The Ir­aq war did not end be­cause the forces against Ir­aq and with­in Ir­aq were still un­defeated. The con­flict in Afgh­anistan will not be over two years from now, in 2017, when the fi­nal Amer­ic­an is sched­uled to leave Afgh­anistan. Please learn the les­sons,” he said, to abate “this dir­ect threat to the na­tion­al se­cur­ity of this na­tion.”

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
20 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×