Sebelius to Congress: ‘I’m Responsible’

Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Oct. 30, 2013, 6:15 a.m.

Knoxville May­or Bill Haslam (R) and busi­ness­man Mike McWhert­er (D) “par­ti­cip­ated in the event hos­ted by first lady An­drea Conte” at the gov’s man­sion “in which stu­dents from nine schools asked the can­did­ates ques­tions” 8/31.

Want More On This Race? Check out the Hot­line Dash­board for a com­pre­hens­ive run­down of this race, in­clud­ing stor­ies, polls, ads, FEC num­bers, and more!

The can­did­ates start­ing off talk­ing about a new law al­low­ing open carry in bars and con­tro­versy over the pro­posed mosque in Murfrees­boro. “In one of the only barbs of the even­ing, McWhert­er noted that Haslam only joined” the NRA “after he de­clared he was run­ning for” gov. “Haslam laughed off the gibe after the event.”

Haslam: “Mike knows I sup­port Second Amend­ment rights, that’s really clear.” McWhert­er and Haslam “both con­sidered the pro­posed mosque as a land is­sue, while con­demning the re­cent ar­son.”

McWhert­er: “I think the people down there who com­mit­ted those at­ro­cit­ies down there in burn­ing that equip­ment should be found and pro­sec­uted to the full ex­tent of the law.” Haslam: “No one should con­done what’s just happened, it’s not ac­cept­able in any way. There’s no ex­cuse what happened there in the last week” (AP, 9/1).

Shelby­bound Train

Last week McWhert­er “said he hoped to open” an HQ in Shelby Co. soon and “said he will be much more vis­ible here.”

McWhert­er: “I really be­lieve Shelby Countians will look and real­ize there is a can­did­ate right next door. I un­der­stand the is­sues in Shelby County far bet­ter than my op­pon­ent does.”

Haslam’s camp “strongly dis­putes that, cit­ing 180 meet­ings” in Shelby dur­ing the GOP primary “as evid­ence of his com­mit­ment.” Haslam’s wife, Crissy,” is from Mem­ph­is, as are sev­er­al key sup­port­ers of his cam­paign.”

Shelby Co. Dem chair Van Turn­er: “The loc­al party can’t do it alone. We need the full ap­par­at­us, we need the mon­et­ary sup­port and the hu­man re­sources” (Mc­Mil­lion, Mem­ph­is Com­mer­cial Ap­peal, 9/1).

What We're Following See More »
RESTROOM ISSUES RETURN
Trump To Rescind Trans Protections
55 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump is planning to reverse an Obama-era order requiring that schools allow students to use the bathroom that coincides with their gender identity. Trump "has green-lighted the plan for the Justice Department and Education Department to send a “Dear Colleague” letter to schools rescinding the guidance." A case is going before the Supreme Court on March 28 in which Gavin Grimm, a transgender high school student, is suing his high school for forbidding him to use the men's room.

Source:
NAIVE, RISK TAKER
Russia Compiling Dossier on Trump’s Mind
2 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

Retired Russian diplomats and members of Vladimir Putin's staff are compiling a dossier "on Donald Trump's psychological makeup" for the Russian leader. "Among its preliminary conclusions is that the new American leader is a risk-taker who can be naïve, according to a senior Kremlin adviser."

Source:
“HORRIBLE” AND “PAINFUL”
Trump Addresses Threats On Jewish Community Centers
3 hours ago
THE DETAILS
COULD COME TUESDAY
Trump Set To Issue New Travel Ban
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.

Source:
KELLOGG WILL RETURN TO NSC COS
Trump Taps Lt. Gen. McMaster as NSC Head
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login