A senior Defense Department official on Monday said the U.S. approach to the conflict in Syria has been “consistent” with a just-updated Pentagon strategy for countering weapons of mass destruction.
At a Pentagon press conference, the senior official — speaking on condition of not being named — was asked whether the juxtaposition in the Syria case might someday make other rogue leaders think twice about giving up their nuclear, chemical or biological arms.
“I feel that our effort — and the entire effort — to eliminate Syria’s declared chemical weapons stockpile is consistent from this [strategy],” the official said. “We’ve taken the ideas as we’ve been developing the strategy, and we’ve been applying it to the Syria problem. So it’s actually been an iterative experience.”
The figure did not elaborate specifically on any ramifications of the timing of bolstered aid to rebels, but alluded broadly to some of the complexities involved.
“This is a countering-WMD strategy,” the official said. “It’s not a regional strategy. It won’t solve problems outside of the WMD lane.
“Our goal there is to try to take the WMD problems, reduce them, eliminate them where we can, take them off the table wherever possible, so that we can get about the business of solving other problems,” the senior official added.
Last Monday, an international coalition announced it had completed the removal of approximately 1,300 metric tons of chemical-warfare materials from the Mideast country. President Bashar Assad’s regime agreed last year to hand over the stockpile, following a nerve-gas attack near Damascus that killed hundreds and spurred talk of Washington’s direct intervention in the Syrian civil war.
The new Defense Department “Strategy for Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction,” released Monday afternoon, replaces 2006 Pentagon guidance for combating these most sensitive arms around the globe.
It emphasizes taking a wider range of preventive actions aimed at reducing and mitigating WMD threats earlier, rather than grappling militarily with crises after they occur. The senior official said the approach is already being implemented, but the document should help to guide planning and investments going forward.
“What steps can we take earlier, as we often say, ‘left of the problem, left of crisis, left of boom, left even of acquisition, left of a country actually acquiring a capability’?” the official said in describing the planning approach that the new strategy seeks to inspire. “What can we bring to bear to shape that environment?”
In the event that non-state actors seize control over weapons of mass destruction somewhere around the globe — as some fear could occur someday in Pakistan, North Korea or elsewhere — the Pentagon would pursue “rapid and decisive action,” according to the new strategy.
Under such a scenario, the Defense Department “will act in coordination with partners whenever possible, but will act unilaterally if necessary,” the document states.
The senior Defense official on Monday rejected the idea that the strategy lays the groundwork for “pre-emptive” action to counter weapons of mass destruction, while noting that the U.S. president always retains such options.
The updated strategy puts “a focus on prevention and a focus on taking steps to make sure that risks don’t fully emerge,” the official said. “I would not in any way correlate that to any presumption on use of force.”
What We're Following See More »
"Hawaii is the first state to prepare the public for the possibility of a ballistic missile strike from North Korea. The state's Emergency Management Agency on Friday announced a public education campaign about what to do. Hawaii lawmakers have been urging emergency management officials to update Cold War-era plans for coping with a nuclear attack as North Korea develops nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles that can reach the islands."
"President Obama’s White House quietly produced a plan in October to counter a possible Election Day cyber attack that included extraordinary measures like sending armed federal law enforcement agents to polling places, mobilizing components of the military and launching counter-propaganda efforts. The 15-page plan, a copy of which was obtained by TIME, stipulates that “in almost all potential cases of malicious cyber activity impacting election infrastructure, state, local, tribal, and territorial governments” would have primary jurisdiction to respond."
"In internal conversations, Trump has recently pondered the idea of nominating Giuliani, a stalwart of his campaign. Even before last week's blast at Sessions in a New York Times interview, Trump had expressed fury at Sessions...for recusing himself from the Russia investigation."
"Donald Trump Jr.'s legal team is expanding its operation, bringing on D.C.-based attorney and longtime regulatory lawyer Karina Lynch, his team told ABC News. Lynch also confirmed to ABC News that she is joining the team. Donald Trump Jr. is one of the people connected to the Trump administration whom the Senate Judiciary Committee has said it wants to interview as part of its investigation into possible Russian involvement in the 2016 election."
"Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner in a statement released early Monday denied colluding with Russia during the 2016 presidential campaign. 'I did not collude, nor know of anyone else in the campaign who colluded, with any foreign government,' Kushner, who is also President Trump's son-in-law, said in prepared remarks to congressional investigators probing Russian meddling in the 2016 election. 'I had no improper contacts. I have not relied on Russian funds to finance my business activities in the private sector.' Kushner is scheduled to appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee in a closed hearing on Monday."