U.N.: Syria Says It Found Sarin in ‘Abandoned’ Containers

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
July 8, 2014, 7:44 a.m.

In­ter­na­tion­al au­thor­it­ies au­then­tic­ated sar­in nerve agent in­side two con­tain­ers that Syr­ia’s re­gime said it found in rebel-held ter­rit­ory, Re­u­ters re­ports.

U.N. Sec­ret­ary Gen­er­al Ban Ki-moon said Pres­id­ent Bashar As­sad’s forces al­legedly re­covered the sub­stance last Au­gust, the month of a sar­in-gas strike that killed hun­dreds of people in a Dam­as­cus sub­urb, the news agency said in a Monday art­icle. As­sad’s gov­ern­ment re­cently fin­ished hand­ing over 1,300 met­ric tons of war­fare sub­stances un­der an agree­ment forged after the Aug. 21 in­cid­ent, but the re­gime has con­tin­ued to blame op­pon­ents for every chem­ic­al strike in Syr­ia’s 3-year-old civil war.

A June 14 ana­lys­is by the United Na­tions and the world’s chem­ic­al-weapons watch­dog “con­firmed that these [cyl­in­ders] con­tained sar­in,” Ban told the U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil in a let­ter later that month.

As­sad’s gov­ern­ment said the con­tain­ers had been “aban­doned” and “did not be­long to it,” ac­cord­ing to a sep­ar­ate state­ment by Ah­met Üzüm­cü, dir­ect­or gen­er­al of the Or­gan­iz­a­tion for the Pro­hib­i­tion of Chem­ic­al Weapons. His agency last Oc­to­ber said the re­gime had re­por­ted find­ing the cyl­in­ders, but it is un­clear how long they have been in in­ter­na­tion­al cus­tody.

The U.N. chief pressed for the elim­in­a­tion of the Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment’s re­main­ing chem­ic­al-war­fare as­sets “at the very earli­est op­por­tun­ity, in­clud­ing the de­struc­tion of re­main­ing pro­duc­tion fa­cil­it­ies and the res­ol­u­tion of any pos­sible re­main­ing tech­nic­al dis­crep­an­cies in the ori­gin­al [stock­pile] de­clar­a­tion.”

Mean­while, the U.S. ves­sel MV Cape Ray began des­troy­ing roughly 600 tons of war­fare chem­ic­als re­lin­quished by Syr­i­an au­thor­it­ies, the De­fense De­part­ment an­nounced on Monday.

“When neut­ral­iz­a­tion is com­plete, Cape Ray will de­liv­er the res­ult ef­flu­ent by-products to Fin­land and Ger­many for de­struc­tion ashore,” Pentagon spokes­man Col. Steve War­ren said.

What We're Following See More »
TURNING OVER 3,000 RUSSIAN ADS
Facebook to Cooperate with Congress
6 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
CALLS HIM A “FRIEND OF MINE”
Trump Praises Erdogan
6 hours ago
THE DETAILS
INFORMS CONGRESS RE: EXECUTIVE ORDER
Trump Makes Good on Promise of New North Korea Sanctions
7 hours ago
THE LATEST

President Trump this afternoon announced another round of sanctions on North Korea, calling the regime "a continuing threat." The executive order, which Trump relayed to Congress, bans any ship or plane that has visited North Korea from visiting the United States within 180 days. The order also authorizes sanctions on any financial institution doing business with North Korea, and permits the secretaries of State and the Treasury to sanction any person involved in trading with North Korea, operating a port there, or involved in a variety of industries there.

SUED FOR SIMILAR DESIGN
Ivanka to Court Over $785 Sandals
8 hours ago
THE DETAILS
DOESN’T KNOW WHEN
Trump Says He’ll Visit Puerto Rico
10 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Seated next to Ukrainian President Poroshenko on his final day of meetings at the United Nations, Trump did not say when he might go to Puerto Rico, but spoke solemnly about the destruction to an island he said had been 'absolutely obliterated.'”

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login