Pentagon Appears to Downgrade Iran Strategic Missile Threat

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
July 11, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

The U.S. De­fense De­part­ment ap­pears to have re­duced the level of threat it be­lieves Ir­an’s bal­list­ic-mis­sile work dir­ectly poses to the United States.

The Pentagon’s most re­cent an­nu­al re­port to Con­gress on Ir­an’s mil­it­ary cap­ab­il­it­ies does not touch on the po­ten­tial for Ir­an to test-launch an in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­sile in 2015. Rather, the re­port’s ex­ec­ut­ive sum­mary makes note of Ir­an’s work on space rock­ets, which has more in­dir­ect ap­plic­a­tions for ICBM de­vel­op­ment, In­side De­fense re­por­ted on Wed­nes­day.

“Ir­an has pub­licly stated it may launch a space vehicle by 2015 that could be cap­able of in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­sile ranges if con­figured as a bal­list­ic mis­sile,” reads the re­port, which was com­pleted in Janu­ary but only now re­por­ted on.

The de­part­ment in its pre­vi­ous re­port to Con­gress, com­pleted in 2013, offered a much more alarm­ing as­sess­ment, say­ing that Ir­an as early as 2015 could be ready to test-fire a bal­list­ic mis­sile that could strike the United States.

Greg Thiel­mann, a seni­or fel­low at the Arms Con­trol As­so­ci­ation, told the news­let­ter he saw im­port­ant dif­fer­ences between the 2013 and 2014 as­sess­ments.

“I would re­gard that as a sig­ni­fic­ant change of lan­guage, mean­ing that the U.S. in­tel­li­gence com­munity is los­ing con­fid­ence in their earli­er pre­dic­tion of 2015 which has been very heav­ily quoted, of course, by friends of mis­sile de­fense and oth­ers wish­ing to pump up the Ir­a­ni­an threat,” said Thiel­mann, a former staffer on the Sen­ate Se­lect Com­mit­tee on In­tel­li­gence.

What We're Following See More »
BOENTE WILL TAKE OVER AS G.C.
Rybicki Departs FBI
11 hours ago
THE LATEST

"FBI Director Chris Wray will change his chief of staff in the coming weeks, multiple sources told CNN Tuesday. James Rybicki, who served Wray's predecessor, James Comey, in the same role, will soon leave, the sources said. Zachary Harmon, a white-collar lawyer, will take on the role." Rybicki played a "role in crafting a statement that exonerated Hillary Clinton in her email server investigation." In related news, the Washington Post reports that "Dana Boente, the U.S. attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia who is acting head of the Justice Department’s national security division, has been selected to be the FBI’s next general counsel."

Source:
TRUMP TEAM HOPES TO ANSWER IN “HYBRID FORM”
Mueller Seeks to Interview Trump
12 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is seeking to question President Trump in the coming weeks about his decisions to oust national security adviser Michael Flynn and FBI Director James B. Comey, according to two people familiar with his plans. ... The president’s legal team hopes to provide Trump’s testimony in a hybrid form — answering some questions in a face-to-face interview and others in a written statement."

Source:
SUSPECT CONTINUED INVOLVEMENT OF RUSSIAN BOTS
Feinstein, Schiff Call on Facebook, Twitter to Investigate “Release the Memo” Campaign
17 hours ago
THE LATEST
LAST WEEK
Mueller Interviewed Sessions
18 hours ago
THE LATEST
Source:
SHUTDOWN OFFICIALLY ENDS
Trump Signs Spending Bill
1 days ago
THE LATEST
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login