The Senate unanimously approved legislation late Tuesday to legalize cell-phone unlocking, which would make it easier for consumers to switch providers without buying a new phone.
The House passed a similar bill earlier this year, but the House version included language to ban people from unlocking phones in large batches. The two chambers will now need to agree on a single version before it heads to the president’s desk.
In a statement, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy urged the House to quickly pass the Senate bill “so that consumers will be able to use their existing cell phones on the wireless carrier of their choice.”
Most contract cell phones come “locked” to one network. Because of a decision by the U.S. Copyright Office in 2012, customers must obtain their carrier’s permission to legally unlock their phones to switch to a competitor—even after they have completed their contract.
The decision prompted an immediate public backlash, and more than 114,000 people signed a White House petition in protest.
The Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act would overturn the office’s decision and would direct the office to consider whether to allow unlocking of other devices, such as tablets.
Consumer groups such as Public Knowledge and the Electronic Frontier Foundation support the Senate bill, although they have also pushed for broader legislation that would amend the underlying copyright law.
CTIA, the lobbying group for cell-phone carriers such as Verizon and AT&T, has backed the bills in both chambers. The group argues the issue is overblown but that the legislation would at least “relieve consumer confusion.”
Under pressure from the Federal Communications Commission, all the major carriers already signed on to a commitment last year to allow their customers to unlock their phones.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”
"Donald Trump's campaign and the Republican party will coordinate more closely going forward, with the GOP's top communicator and chief strategist Sean Spicer increasingly working out of Trump campaign headquarters, the campaign confirmed Sunday."
In a statement released Friday morning, the Trump campaign announced that Paul Manafort has resigned as campaign chairman. The move comes after fresh questions had been raised about Manafort's work in Russia and Ukraine, and Trump brought in Stephen Bannon "as a de facto demotion for Manafort."