The U.S Chamber of Commerce will be endorsing GOP businessman Mike McFadden in the Minnesota Senate race, the latest sign Republicans view Democratic Sen. Al Franken as increasingly vulnerable.
“I’m honored to have their endorsement. They know Minnesota is a state we can win,” McFadden said in an interview about the pending endorsement.
The endorsement will be formally announced by the chamber Monday at an event in Burnsville, Minn. McFadden has been in Washington meeting with officials at the National Republican Senatorial Committee this week to discuss the state of the campaign.
This year, the Chamber of Commerce has been aggressive in backing favored candidates, helping boost Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi and Rep. Mike Simpson of Idaho, among others, in contested primaries. They’ve spent over $17 million so far in Senate and House contests, all to back pro-business Republicans. They suffered their first setback last week when Rep. Jack Kingston lost the Georgia Senate runoff to businessman David Perdue.
The Minnesota Senate race is emerging as potentially competitive, despite receiving less attention than other battleground contests. This week, University of Virginia political analyst Larry Sabato moved the Franken race into the “Leans Democratic” category, calling it a potential sleeper contest. Unlike other targeted Democratic senators in 2014, Franken has maintained a solidly liberal voting record, rarely breaking with President Obama on high-profile issues.
In a very favorable Democratic year, Franken won by 312 votes against former GOP Sen. Norm Coleman in 2008—a race that ended in a protracted post-election recount. He’s kept a low profile in Congress since being elected, rarely granting interviews with national media.
Despite raising an impressive $14.2 million throughout the cycle, Franken has spent heavily throughout the year, leaving him with only $5 million in his campaign account at the end of June. McFadden, who locked up the GOP nomination in May, has banked $2 million.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."