FTC Orders Revenge-Porn Site Taken Down

The agency says the website violated fair business practice laws.

A man surfs the internet in Beijing on June 15, 2009. The designers of controversial Internet filtering software that China has ordered shipped with all new computers said they were trying to fix security glitches in the programme in the latest blow to the plan to include the filtering software with all PCs sold in China from July 1, which has been criticised overseas and even in China as a bid at mass censorship and a threat to personal privacy. Researchers at the University of Michigan who examined the software last week said it contained serious security vulnerabilities that could allow outside parties to take control of computers running it via remote access. Chinese authorities have a history of blocking sites that feature porn or politically unacceptable subjects such as the brutal crackdown on Tiananmen pro-democracy protests in 1989 and the banned spiritual group Falungong.
National Journal
Jan. 29, 2015, 7:50 a.m.

The op­er­at­or of a re­venge-porn web­site has been banned from shar­ing nude pho­tos and videos on­line after a Fed­er­al Trade Com­mis­sion in­vest­ig­a­tion found he was in vi­ol­a­tion of fair busi­ness prac­tice laws.

The web­site’s op­er­at­or, Craig Brit­tain, agreed in a set­tle­ment with the FTC to des­troy all the pho­tos and videos he col­lec­ted. He will no longer be al­lowed to share nude pho­tos of wo­men without their con­sent, but he was not fined for the vi­ol­a­tion.

The FTC al­leges that Brit­tain tricked wo­men in­to send­ing him nude pho­tos of them­selves, which he then pub­lished on­line. Brit­tain re­ferred the wo­men who wanted their pho­tos taken down to an­oth­er site, where he posed as a law­yer and charged between them $200 to $500 to take down the pho­tos, ac­cord­ing to the agency.

“This be­ha­vi­or is not only il­leg­al but rep­re­hens­ible,” said Jes­sica Rich, dir­ect­or of the FTC’s Bur­eau of Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion. “I am pleased that as a res­ult of this set­tle­ment, the il­leg­ally col­lec­ted im­ages and in­form­a­tion will be de­leted, and this in­di­vidu­al can nev­er re­turn to the so-called ‘re­venge porn’ busi­ness.”

Brit­tain re­quired that users who sent him the pho­tos also sub­mit ex­tens­ive identi­fy­ing in­form­a­tion about the pho­tos’ sub­jects, such as name, age, phone num­ber, and a link to their Face­book page, the FTC says. Many of the sub­mis­sions came from men send­ing pho­to­graphs of wo­men, ac­cord­ing to the FTC com­plaint.

He also set up a “bounty sys­tem,” the com­plaint al­leges, which al­lowed users to of­fer re­wards of at least $100 to so­li­cit com­prom­ising pho­tos of someone else. Brit­tain col­lec­ted half the bounty if the re­quest was ful­filled, the com­plaint says.

If one of the more than 1,000 wo­men ex­posed by Brit­tain’s web­site con­tac­ted him to get her pho­tos taken down, Brit­tain would refer her to web­sites for con­tent-re­mov­al ser­vices known as “Take­down Law­yer” or “Take­down Ham­mer,” the FTC said. But he also owned those sites, and he charged hun­dreds of dol­lars to re­move pho­tos he had pos­ted on his site, earn­ing him­self about $12,000 over the course of the two years the site was live, ac­cord­ing to the com­plaint.

What We're Following See More »
AVOIDS SHUTDOWN WITH A FEW HOURS TO SPARE
Trump Signs Border Deal
1 weeks ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump signed a sweeping spending bill Friday afternoon, averting another partial government shutdown. The action came after Trump had declared a national emergency in a move designed to circumvent Congress and build additional barriers at the southern border, where he said the United States faces 'an invasion of our country.'"

Source:
REDIRECTS $8 BILLION
Trump Declares National Emergency
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"President Donald Trump on Friday declared a state of emergency on the southern border and immediately direct $8 billion to construct or repair as many as 234 miles of a border barrier. The move — which is sure to invite vigorous legal challenges from activists and government officials — comes after Trump failed to get the $5.7 billion he was seeking from lawmakers. Instead, Trump agreed to sign a deal that included just $1.375 for border security."

Source:
COULD SOW DIVISION AMONG REPUBLICANS
House Will Condemn Emergency Declaration
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"House Democrats are gearing up to pass a joint resolution disapproving of President Trump’s emergency declaration to build his U.S.-Mexico border wall, a move that will force Senate Republicans to vote on a contentious issue that divides their party. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Thursday evening in an interview with The Washington Post that the House would take up the resolution in the coming days or weeks. The measure is expected to easily clear the Democratic-led House, and because it would be privileged, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would be forced to put the resolution to a vote that he could lose."

Source:
MILITARY CONSTRUCTION, DRUG FORFEITURE FUND
Where Will the Emergency Money Come From?
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"ABC News has learned the president plans to announce on Friday his intention to spend about $8 billion on the border wall with a mix of spending from Congressional appropriations approved Thursday night, executive action and an emergency declaration. A senior White House official familiar with the plan told ABC News that $1.375 billion would come from the spending bill Congress passed Thursday; $600 million would come from the Treasury Department's drug forfeiture fund; $2.5 billion would come from the Pentagon's drug interdiction program; and through an emergency declaration: $3.5 billion from the Pentagon's military construction budget."

Source:
TRUMP SAYS HE WILL SIGN
House Passes Funding Deal
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"The House passed a massive border and budget bill that would avert a shutdown and keep the government funded through the end of September. The Senate passed the measure earlier Thursday. The bill provides $1.375 billion for fences, far short of the $5.7 billion President Trump had demanded to fund steel walls. But the president says he will sign the legislation, and instead seek to fund his border wall by declaring a national emergency."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login