The Federal Communications Commission plans to soon begin working on a proposal to subsidize Internet service for low-income consumers by expanding its Lifeline program, which is mocked by conservatives as the “Obamaphone” program.
All three Democrats on the five-member commission have publicly said they want to use federal money to help ensure that all Americans can afford to get online. Lifeline—which despite the Obamaphone nickname was created during the Reagan administration—currently subsidizes only phone service.
“The Lifeline program, established in the mid ‘80s, has been stuck in the mid ‘80s,” Democratic FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn told National Journal during an interview Wednesday on C-SPAN’s The Communicators. Clyburn said she is hoping the agency will unveil a proposal by this summer to expand the program to cover Internet access.
Lifeline subsidizes about $10 of phone service per month for qualifying consumers. Under Clyburn’s plan, that amount wouldn’t necessarily increase, but consumers could choose to have it cover the data on their smartphone or their home broadband connection.
FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler indicated at a public meeting last December he agrees that Lifeline should cover Internet costs, and Jessica Rosenworcel, the other Democratic commissioner, is particularly focused on ensuring that children from poor families have Internet access at home so they can do their online homework.
But subsidizing broadband access for the poor has the potential to explode into another partisan controversy. The money for Lifeline comes from government fees on consumers’ monthly phone bills, and conservatives have decried the program as a wasteful government handout.
Last Congress, 67 House Republicans co-sponsored a bill that would have curbed the program to only cover landline phones, and 44 House Republicans signed a letter calling for the program to be scrapped altogether. “Obamaphone welfare symbolizes how the culture of government dependency is weakening America,” Rep. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee said at the time.
Even supporters of the $1.7 billion program admit that it has been plagued by fraud and abuse. The FCC and the Justice Department have tried to crack down in recent years on companies scamming the program.
During the C-SPAN interview, Clyburn argued that the FCC should overhaul the program so that the phone and Internet providers aren’t the ones responsible for determining if customers are eligible for the subsidies. That system encourages the companies to lie to receive more subsidies, she argued.
“This program is literally what it says,” she said. “It is a lifeline, an opportunity for those who have significant financial challenges to be able to keep in touch with their doctors, with their educators, with their communities, with their loved ones. And it is vital that we reform that to meet the current needs of our most vulnerable citizens.”
She said she believes it’s possible to cover broadband service without increasing the overall size of the program—which would avoid increasing the fees on consumers’ phone bills.
There is some hope that overhauling Lifeline could be a bipartisan issue. Michael O’Rielly, one of the two Republican FCC commissioners, outlined his own plan last month for updating the program to include broadband. He would also impose a variety of restraints and oversight mechanisms to keep down costs.
But in the wake of the bitterly partisan fight over net neutrality, there might not be much goodwill left between the FCC’s Democrats and Republicans.
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”