Obama Administration Proposes June Release for New Clinton Emails

The proposal to a federal judge would mean a steady stream of closely watched messages during Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

National Journal
Ben Geman
Add to Briefcase
Ben Geman
May 26, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

The State Department on Tuesday proposed to begin periodically releasing Hillary Clinton’s emails on June 30, starting the drip of the 55,000 pages of messages recovered from the Democratic presidential front-runner’s private email server.

In a court filing Tuesday, State proposed to release documents publicly on June 30, and then every 60 days thereafter.

“The Department will strive to produce as many documents as possible on each production date, and will file a status report one week after each production to inform the Court of the number of pages posted,” Department of Justice lawyers representing State said in the proposal Tuesday evening.

The attorneys add: “The Department is keenly aware of the intense public interest in the documents and wants to get releasable materials out as soon as possible. Accordingly, it is committed to reallocating further resources to accommodate the additional effort required by rolling productions so that it can still complete the production on or before the Department’s initial proposed deadline of January 15, 2016.”

The proposal comes after Judge Rudolph Contreras of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia last week rejected the department’s plan to withhold Clinton’s messages until early 2016.

In late 2014, Clinton turned over the messages from the private server she used for State Department business—an atypical arrangement that has drawn criticism from transparency advocates and Republicans.

A subset of roughly 300 messages specifically related to Libya and the fatal 2012 attack on the diplomatic compound in Benghazi were already released last week.

Tuesday’s proposal is part of a public-records lawsuit for the messages filed by Vice News. Attorneys for Vice, however, criticized the plan Tuesday and said they would ask the judge for more frequent disclosures.

“I applaud State’s proposal to begin releasing Clinton’s emails on June 30, 2015, but I do not believe that additional rolling productions every 60 days is sufficiently frequent to enable the public to engage in fully informed discussion about Secretary Clinton’s leadership style and decisions while at the helm of the State Department,” said Ryan James, who is representing Vice journalist Jason Leopold in the case.

James said he would ask the court to ensure rolling releases “every 2 weeks beginning June 30, 2015 and ending no later than January 31, 2016 to ensure as much information as possible is accessible to the public as quickly as possible, and before caucusing begins February 1, 2016.”

Tuesday’s proposal from the Obama administration lawyers also says the State Department will “continue to explore ways to devote more resources to this effort, consistent with its other obligations, to complete the review even earlier” than their proposed date of January 16.

What We're Following See More »
FINAL DECISION AFTER NOVEMBER
Castro Says He's "Likely" to Run for White House
3 hours ago
THE DETAILS

In an interview with Rolling Stone, former HUD Secretary Julian Castro indicated he's close to announcing a presidential bid. “I’m likely to do it,” he said. “I’ll make a final decision after November, but I’m inclined to do it.”

Source:
SCENE APPEARED TO HAVE BEEN CLEANED, SANITIZED
Turks Say They Found Evidence that Khashoggi Was Killed in Embassy
7 hours ago
THE LATEST
SHE MUST PAY HIS LEGAL FEES
Judge Tosses Daniels's Defamation Case Against Trump
9 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A judge dismissed Stormy Daniels’ defamation lawsuit against President Trump on Monday. Judge James Otero also ruled Daniels must pay Trump’s attorney fees." A Trump attorney called it "a total victory for President Trump and a total defeat for Stormy Daniels."

Source:
SAYS MBS CAN NEVER BE A WORLD LEADER
Graham Threatens Sanctions on Saudi Arabia
9 hours ago
THE LATEST

“I’m not going back to Saudi Arabia as long as" Mohammed Bin Salman is in charge, Sen. Lindsey Graham said on Fox News today. “I’ve been their biggest defender on the floor of the United States Senate. This guy is a wrecking ball. He had [Khashoggi] murdered in a consulate in Turkey and to expect me to ignore it, I feel used and abused. The MBS figure is to me toxic, he can never be a world leader on the world stage.” Graham added that he intends to "sanction the hell out of Saudi Arabia.”

Source:
INTERROGATION GONE WRONG
Report: Saudis Planning to Admit to Khashoggi Killing
1 days ago
THE LATEST
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login