Obama Administration Proposes June Release for New Clinton Emails

The proposal to a federal judge would mean a steady stream of closely watched messages during Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

National Journal
May 26, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

The State Department on Tuesday proposed to begin periodically releasing Hillary Clinton’s emails on June 30, starting the drip of the 55,000 pages of messages recovered from the Democratic presidential front-runner’s private email server.

In a court filing Tuesday, State proposed to release documents publicly on June 30, and then every 60 days thereafter.

“The Department will strive to produce as many documents as possible on each production date, and will file a status report one week after each production to inform the Court of the number of pages posted,” Department of Justice lawyers representing State said in the proposal Tuesday evening.

The attorneys add: “The Department is keenly aware of the intense public interest in the documents and wants to get releasable materials out as soon as possible. Accordingly, it is committed to reallocating further resources to accommodate the additional effort required by rolling productions so that it can still complete the production on or before the Department’s initial proposed deadline of January 15, 2016.”

The proposal comes after Judge Rudolph Contreras of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia last week rejected the department’s plan to withhold Clinton’s messages until early 2016.

In late 2014, Clinton turned over the messages from the private server she used for State Department business—an atypical arrangement that has drawn criticism from transparency advocates and Republicans.

A subset of roughly 300 messages specifically related to Libya and the fatal 2012 attack on the diplomatic compound in Benghazi were already released last week.

Tuesday’s proposal is part of a public-records lawsuit for the messages filed by Vice News. Attorneys for Vice, however, criticized the plan Tuesday and said they would ask the judge for more frequent disclosures.

“I applaud State’s proposal to begin releasing Clinton’s emails on June 30, 2015, but I do not believe that additional rolling productions every 60 days is sufficiently frequent to enable the public to engage in fully informed discussion about Secretary Clinton’s leadership style and decisions while at the helm of the State Department,” said Ryan James, who is representing Vice journalist Jason Leopold in the case.

James said he would ask the court to ensure rolling releases “every 2 weeks beginning June 30, 2015 and ending no later than January 31, 2016 to ensure as much information as possible is accessible to the public as quickly as possible, and before caucusing begins February 1, 2016.”

Tuesday’s proposal from the Obama administration lawyers also says the State Department will “continue to explore ways to devote more resources to this effort, consistent with its other obligations, to complete the review even earlier” than their proposed date of January 16.

What We're Following See More »
DEMOCRATS WILL INTRODUCE RESOLUTION ON FRIDAY
Pelosi Pushing Legislation to End National Emergency
10 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Speaker Nancy Pelosi is throwing her muscle behind a legislative effort to block President Donald Trump’s national emergency declaration, the first formal step to counter Trump and squeeze Republicans on the border wall. Democrats will introduce legislation Friday to terminate the emergency proclamation and Pelosi is urging House colleagues on both sides of the aisle to support the resolution, according to a letter obtained by POLITICO on Wednesday."

Source:
AVOIDS SHUTDOWN WITH A FEW HOURS TO SPARE
Trump Signs Border Deal
5 days ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump signed a sweeping spending bill Friday afternoon, averting another partial government shutdown. The action came after Trump had declared a national emergency in a move designed to circumvent Congress and build additional barriers at the southern border, where he said the United States faces 'an invasion of our country.'"

Source:
REDIRECTS $8 BILLION
Trump Declares National Emergency
5 days ago
THE DETAILS

"President Donald Trump on Friday declared a state of emergency on the southern border and immediately direct $8 billion to construct or repair as many as 234 miles of a border barrier. The move — which is sure to invite vigorous legal challenges from activists and government officials — comes after Trump failed to get the $5.7 billion he was seeking from lawmakers. Instead, Trump agreed to sign a deal that included just $1.375 for border security."

Source:
COULD SOW DIVISION AMONG REPUBLICANS
House Will Condemn Emergency Declaration
5 days ago
THE DETAILS

"House Democrats are gearing up to pass a joint resolution disapproving of President Trump’s emergency declaration to build his U.S.-Mexico border wall, a move that will force Senate Republicans to vote on a contentious issue that divides their party. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Thursday evening in an interview with The Washington Post that the House would take up the resolution in the coming days or weeks. The measure is expected to easily clear the Democratic-led House, and because it would be privileged, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would be forced to put the resolution to a vote that he could lose."

Source:
MILITARY CONSTRUCTION, DRUG FORFEITURE FUND
Where Will the Emergency Money Come From?
5 days ago
THE DETAILS

"ABC News has learned the president plans to announce on Friday his intention to spend about $8 billion on the border wall with a mix of spending from Congressional appropriations approved Thursday night, executive action and an emergency declaration. A senior White House official familiar with the plan told ABC News that $1.375 billion would come from the spending bill Congress passed Thursday; $600 million would come from the Treasury Department's drug forfeiture fund; $2.5 billion would come from the Pentagon's drug interdiction program; and through an emergency declaration: $3.5 billion from the Pentagon's military construction budget."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login