U.S., China Eying ‘Various Options’ for N. Korea Nuclear Talks, South Says

None

Global Security Newswire Staff
June 10, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

Beijing and Wash­ing­ton are study­ing mul­tiple paths for re­start­ing frozen nuc­le­ar ne­go­ti­ations with North Korea, a South Korean dip­lo­mat said on Tues­day.

“South Korea, the U.S. and China have been seek­ing vari­ous op­tions to re­sume a mean­ing­ful dia­logue on de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion [with North Korea],” South Korea’s seni­or ne­go­ti­at­or to the para­lyzed six-party talks, Hwang Joon-kook, told the Yon­hap News Agency.

Hwang was speak­ing in Beijing, where he was sched­uled to dis­cuss the North Korean nuc­le­ar im­passe with his Chinese op­pos­ite at the six-na­tion ne­go­ti­ations, Wu Da­wei.

The mul­tina­tion­al aid-for-de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion ne­go­ti­ations in­volving China, the two Koreas, Ja­pan, Rus­sia and the United States have been at a stand­still since 2008. While Py­ongy­ang has voiced in­terest in re­turn­ing to the ne­go­ti­at­ing table, it has balked at tak­ing any ini­tial steps de­man­ded by Wash­ing­ton to end its nuc­le­ar arms activ­it­ies as a con­di­tion of the talks re­sum­ing. Beijing has ar­gued against pla­cing any pre­con­di­tions on fu­ture talks.

Else­where, Ja­pan­ese of­fi­cials are slated to vis­it San­dia Na­tion­al Labor­at­or­ies later this week as part of an Ex­ten­ded De­terrence Dia­logue with the United States, the U.S. State De­part­ment said in a Monday press re­lease.

The vis­it to the U.S. nuc­le­ar weapons com­plex in New Mex­ico is in­ten­ded to “deep­en [Ja­pan­ese] un­der­stand­ing of the stra­tegic weapons sys­tems that sup­port U.S. ex­ten­ded de­terrence guar­an­tees,” the de­part­ment said. Ja­pan is un­der the U.S. nuc­le­ar um­brella.

Sep­ar­ately, U.S. and South Korean air­men late last month con­duc­ted an ex­er­cise at Kun­san Air Base in­volving the re­sponse to a weapon of mass de­struc­tion, ac­cord­ing to a Monday U.S. Pa­cific Com­mand press re­lease. In ad­di­tion to its nuc­le­ar pro­gram, the North is as­sumed to have act­ive chem­ic­al and bio­lo­gic­al weapons pro­grams that of­fi­cials fear could be used in at­tacks against South Korea.

Mean­while, Singa­pore on Tues­day an­nounced the fil­ing of charges against a mer­chant firm, Chinpo Ship­ping Com­pany, for al­legedly help­ing to fa­cil­it­ate an il­leg­al arms deal between Cuba and North Korea that was un­covered last sum­mer, Re­u­ters re­por­ted. U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil sanc­tions out­law all weapons com­merce with Py­ongy­ang.

What We're Following See More »
‘PULLING A TRUMP’
GOP Budget Chiefs Won’t Invite Administration to Testify
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

The administration will release its 2017 budget blueprint tomorrow, but the House and Senate budget committees won’t be inviting anyone from the White House to come talk about it. “The chairmen of the House and Senate Budget committees released a joint statement saying it simply wasn’t worth their time” to hear from OMB Director Shaun Donovan. Accusing the members of pulling a “Donald Trump,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the move “raises some questions about how confident they are about the kinds of arguments that they could make.”

Source:
A DARK CLOUD OVER TRUMP?
Snowstorm Could Impact Primary Turnout
1 days ago
THE LATEST

A snowstorm is supposed to hit New Hampshire today and “linger into Primary Tuesday.” GOP consultant Ron Kaufman said lower turnout should help candidates who have spent a lot of time in the state tending to retail politicking. Donald Trump “has acknowledged that he needs to step up his ground-game, and a heavy snowfall could depress his figures relative to more organized candidates.”

Source:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
A Shake-Up in the Offing in the Clinton Camp?
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

Anticipating a primary loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday, Hillary and Bill Clinton “are considering staffing and strategy changes” to their campaign. Sources tell Politico that the Clintons are likely to layer over top officials with experienced talent, rather than fire their staff en masse.

Source:
THE LAST ROUND OF NEW HAMPSHIRE POLLS
Trump Is Still Ahead, but Who’s in Second?
18 hours ago
THE LATEST

We may not be talking about New Hampshire primary polls for another three-and-a-half years, so here goes:

  • American Research Group’s tracking poll has Donald Trump in the lead with 30% support, followed by Marco Rubio and John Kasich tying for second place at 16%. On the Democratic side, Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton 53%-41%.
  • The 7 News/UMass Lowell tracking poll has Trump way out front with 34%, followed by Rubio and Ted Cruz with 13% apiece. Among the Democrats, Sanders is in front 56%-40%.
  • A Gravis poll puts Trump ahead with 28%, followed by Kasich with 17% and Rubio with 15%.
IT’S ALL ABOUT SECOND PLACE
CNN Calls the Primary for Sanders and Trump
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

Well that didn’t take long. CNN has already declared Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump the winners of the New Hampshire primary, leaving the rest of the candidates to fight for the scraps. Five minutes later, the Associated Press echoed CNN’s call.

Source:
×