Syria’s final declared batch of warfare chemical cannot be extracted for destruction at this point because of heavy fighting, a U.N. official has confirmed.
“There is a lot of fighting taking place,” Sigrid Kaag, the diplomat overseeing Syria’s chemical disarmament, was quoted as saying on Thursday by the New York Times. “It’s not a situation where you want a chemical weapons convoy passing through.”
At a briefing with reporters in New York, Kaag provided perhaps the most specific information to date about the final eight percent of Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile that have yet to be removed from the country. Locked in place at an airfield east of Damascus are 100 tons of materials, packed into 16 containers, that could be used to make the deadly nerve agent sarin, the Associated Press reports.
Once officials can safely access the site, Kaag said it would take “less than a working week” to pack the materials and ship them to the port of Latakia, from which they could be taken for destruction to a U.S.-provided cargo ship modified for the mission.
While the materials were considered “safe and secure” at the regime-controlled airfield on Thursday, the rebel group threatening the site are “the more extreme kind,” the diplomat warned. “Global jihad has come to Syria.”
Kaag indicated that military action by the Syrian government was planned to push back the rebels.
“From their perspective, it is something that needs to happen because it is an important route, and it’s not far from Damascus,” she was quoted as saying by the AP.
Syria so far has removed roughly 92 percent of its declared chemical stocks, following a pledge to disarm last year in the wake of a sarin gas attack in a Damascus. The regime made the commitment because Western powers had considered a military strike.
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has sent inspectors to the country to investigate allegations that Syrian government forces recently used munitions filled with chlorine gas in the civil war.
What We're Following See More »
Trump, in a statement: “Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. ... I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”
"It's about time for unity," said UAW President Dennis Williams. "We're endorsing Hillary Clinton. She's gotten 3 million more votes than Bernie, a million more votes than Donald Trump. She's our nominee." He called Sanders "a great friend of the UAW" while saying Trump "does not support the economic security of UAW families." Some 28 percent of UAW members indicated their support for Trump in an internal survey.
"Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign. Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the convention."
"Clinton and Bernie Sanders "are now devoting additional money to television advertising. A day after Sanders announced a new ad buy of less than $2 million in the state, Clinton announced her own television campaign. Ads featuring actor Morgan Freeman as well as labor leader and civil rights activist Dolores Huerta will air beginning on Fridayin Fresno, Sacramento, and Los Angeles media markets. Some ads will also target Latino voters and Asian American voters. The total value of the buy is about six figures according to the Clinton campaign." Meanwhile, a new poll shows Sanders within the margin of error, trailing Clinton 44%-46%.