Newly detected digging at North Korea’s nuclear test site suggests that another atomic blast is not imminent, according to 38 North.
In an examination of commercial satellite photographs taken between April 25 and May 1 of the “West Portal” area of the Punggye-ri test site, 38 North image expert Nick Hansen notes that the Kim Jong Un regime appears to be “continuing and perhaps stepping up excavation activities resumed” late last month.
In his Friday analysis, Hansen notes that were North Korea preparing to conduct another underground nuclear test in the immediate future, it would be clearing the entire site of personnel and equipment instead of opening a new phase of its tunnel expansion work.
Repeated warnings by Pyongyang officials in recent weeks of a forthcoming “new” kind of nuclear test have had many North Korea watchers on tenterhooks, waiting to see when the country might conduct its fourth atomic blast, and what form it could take. However, the North’s foreign ministry last week said there was “no statute of limitations” for when it might conduct a nuclear test.
Apparent preparations for a nuclear test have been detected via satellite at the “South Portal” area of Punggye-ri. Hansen said the recent shifting of containers near one of the South Portal tunnel entrances “reinforces the conclusion that activity is still ongoing inside the tunnel.”
At a separate South Portal tunnel — where preparations for the suspected coming test have appeared most evident — it looked on Thursday like all crates had been removed from the entrance, according to Hansen. Still, “there is no evidence to suggest that the tunnel has been sealed in preparation for a detonation,” he said.
- 1 Why Elizabeth Warren Isn’t the Most Liberal Senator
- 2 Bull’s Eye: Here’s the Obamas’ New Neighborhood
- 3 Pakistan Wants Drones, and It Doesn’t Need America’s Permission to Get Them
- 4 Trump Lays Out Energy Stances, Celebrates Hitting 1,237 Delegate Mark
- 5 Clinton Remains Kentucky Winner After Recanvass
What We're Following See More »
Trump, in a statement: “Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. ... I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”
"It's about time for unity," said UAW President Dennis Williams. "We're endorsing Hillary Clinton. She's gotten 3 million more votes than Bernie, a million more votes than Donald Trump. She's our nominee." He called Sanders "a great friend of the UAW" while saying Trump "does not support the economic security of UAW families." Some 28 percent of UAW members indicated their support for Trump in an internal survey.
"Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign. Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the convention."
"Clinton and Bernie Sanders "are now devoting additional money to television advertising. A day after Sanders announced a new ad buy of less than $2 million in the state, Clinton announced her own television campaign. Ads featuring actor Morgan Freeman as well as labor leader and civil rights activist Dolores Huerta will air beginning on Fridayin Fresno, Sacramento, and Los Angeles media markets. Some ads will also target Latino voters and Asian American voters. The total value of the buy is about six figures according to the Clinton campaign." Meanwhile, a new poll shows Sanders within the margin of error, trailing Clinton 44%-46%.