U.S. Begins Fielding Missile Interceptor Planned for Basing in Europe

Global Security Newswire Staff
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 24, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

The United States has be­gun field­ing a new mis­sile in­ter­cept­or that is planned in the short term to be de­ployed in Ro­mania and the Medi­ter­ranean.

The U.S. Navy is now de­ploy­ing the Stand­ard Mis­sile 3 Block 1B in­ter­cept­or, which is de­signed to des­troy short- and me­di­um-range bal­list­ic mis­siles, pro­du­cer Ray­theon Co. an­nounced in a Wed­nes­day press re­lease.

“The SM-3 Block 1B’s com­ple­tion of ini­tial op­er­a­tion­al test­ing last year set the stage for a rap­id de­ploy­ment to theat­er,” Ray­theon Mis­sile Sys­tems Pres­id­ent Taylor Lawrence said in provided com­ments. “The SM-3’s highly suc­cess­ful test per­form­ance gives com­batant com­mand­ers around the world the con­fid­ence they need to counter the grow­ing bal­list­ic mis­sile threat.”

But the fu­ture of the second-gen­er­a­tion in­ter­cept­or in­cludes some un­cer­tainty. The Pentagon’s Mis­sile De­fense Agency re­cently re­vealed to In­side De­fense that it had de­cided to post­pone for one year plans to seek con­gres­sion­al ap­prov­al for a mul­ti­year pro­duc­tion deal with Ray­theon. The de­cision came after the agency de­term­ined it can­not yet show a re­li­able fund­ing stream for the Block 1B mis­sile, a sus­tained mil­it­ary need or a stable design.

A re­cent re­port by Con­gress’ in­tern­al aud­it­or re­com­men­ded delay­ing full pro­duc­tion un­til it is de­term­ined wheth­er changes to the mis­sile in­ter­cept­or’s design are war­ran­ted, fol­low­ing an in­ter­cept at­tempt last year in which a launched Block 1B failed to per­form.

The Block 1B mis­sile is slated for de­ploy­ment on four Ae­gis-equipped U.S. mis­sile des­troy­ers home-por­ted in Rota, Spain, and be­gin­ning in 2015 at a site cur­rently un­der con­struc­tion in Ro­mania.

The planned field­ings form the second phase of the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion’s “phased ad­apt­ive ap­proach” for European mis­sile de­fense.

The fi­nal phase of the plan will in­volve field­ing an even more-ad­vanced SM-3 in­ter­cept­or in Po­land in the 2018-2020 time­frame.

The an­ti­mis­sile sys­tems will be in­cor­por­ated in­to an evolving NATO bal­list­ic-mis­sile shield that has been por­trayed as de­fend­ing against a pos­sible mis­sile at­tack from the Middle East. More re­cently, though, some East­ern European al­li­ance mem­bers have sug­ges­ted the sys­tem could be­come a means of de­ter­ring a newly mil­it­ar­ily re­sur­gent Rus­sia.

What We're Following See More »
STAFF PICKS
When It Comes to Mining Asteroids, Technology Is Only the First Problem
2 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Foreign Policy takes a look at the future of mining the estimated "100,000 near-Earth objects—including asteroids and comets—in the neighborhood of our planet. Some of these NEOs, as they’re called, are small. Others are substantial and potentially packed full of water and various important minerals, such as nickel, cobalt, and iron. One day, advocates believe, those objects will be tapped by variations on the equipment used in the coal mines of Kentucky or in the diamond mines of Africa. And for immense gain: According to industry experts, the contents of a single asteroid could be worth trillions of dollars." But the technology to get us there is only the first step. Experts say "a multinational body might emerge" to manage rights to NEOs, as well as a body of law, including an international court.

Source:
STAFF PICKS
Obama Reflects on His Economic Record
2 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Not to be outdone by Jeffrey Goldberg's recent piece in The Atlantic about President Obama's foreign policy, the New York Times Magazine checks in with a longread on the president's economic legacy. In it, Obama is cognizant that the economic reality--73 straight months of growth--isn't matched by public perceptions. Some of that, he says, is due to a constant drumbeat from the right that "that denies any progress." But he also accepts some blame himself. “I mean, the truth of the matter is that if we had been able to more effectively communicate all the steps we had taken to the swing voter,” he said, “then we might have maintained a majority in the House or the Senate.”

Source:
STAFF PICKS
Reagan Families, Allies Lash Out at Will Ferrell
2 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Ronald Reagan's children and political allies took to the media and Twitter this week to chide funnyman Will Ferrell for his plans to play a dementia-addled Reagan in his second term in a new comedy entitled Reagan. In an open letter, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis tells Ferrell, who's also a producer on the movie, “Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have—I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.” Michael Reagan, the president's son, tweeted, "What an Outrag....Alzheimers is not joke...It kills..You should be ashamed all of you." And former Rep. Joe Walsh called it an example of "Hollywood taking a shot at conservatives again."

Source:
PEAK CONFIDENCE
Clinton No Longer Running Primary Ads
2 days ago
WHY WE CARE

In a sign that she’s ready to put a longer-than-ex­pec­ted primary battle be­hind her, former Sec­ret­ary of State Hil­lary Clin­ton (D) is no longer go­ing on the air in up­com­ing primary states. “Team Clin­ton hasn’t spent a single cent in … Cali­for­nia, In­di­ana, Ken­tucky, Ore­gon and West Vir­gin­ia, while” Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) “cam­paign has spent a little more than $1 mil­lion in those same states.” Meanwhile, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sanders’ "lone back­er in the Sen­ate, said the can­did­ate should end his pres­id­en­tial cam­paign if he’s los­ing to Hil­lary Clin­ton after the primary sea­son con­cludes in June, break­ing sharply with the can­did­ate who is vow­ing to take his in­sur­gent bid to the party con­ven­tion in Phil­adelphia.”

Source:
CITIZENS UNITED PT. 2?
Movie Based on ‘Clinton Cash’ to Debut at Cannes
2 days ago
WHY WE CARE

The team behind the bestselling "Clinton Cash"—author Peter Schweizer and Breitbart's Stephen Bannon—is turning the book into a movie that will have its U.S. premiere just before the Democratic National Convention this summer. The film will get its global debut "next month in Cannes, France, during the Cannes Film Festival. (The movie is not a part of the festival, but will be shown at a screening arranged for distributors)." Bloomberg has a trailer up, pointing out that it's "less Ken Burns than Jerry Bruckheimer, featuring blood-drenched money, radical madrassas, and ominous footage of the Clintons."

Source:
×