The Russian government reportedly intends to budget extra funds for the disposal of old chemical weapons following the recent break in NATO cooperation.
Russia is disposing of a Soviet-era chemical stockpile as required under the Chemical Weapons Convention and, in the past, has received U.S. funding to support that effort.
On Tuesday, a member of the Russian parliament’s upper chamber, Viktor Ozerov, said the government would have to allocate close to $1 billion for domestic chemical disarmament to make up for the funds that NATO countries had promised to provide, ITAR-Tass reported.
NATO has suspended military cooperation with Russia as punishment for its annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea Peninsula. However, there has been no word that individual member states have decided to cancel planned nonproliferation funding destined for Moscow. The United States is typically the biggest contributor of such funding through its Cooperative Threat Reduction program and there has been no announcement from Washington that it plans to halt CTR program funding to Russia.
Ozerov, who heads the Federation Council’s Defense and Security Committee, said the recent geopolitical events had not changed Russia’s focus on meeting a Dec. 31, 2015, target date for completing eradicating its chemical arsenal, which at one point measured 44,000 metric tons of warfare agents.
Ahmet Üzümcü, who heads the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, applauded Russia’s progress in destroying its chemical arsenal, Interfax reported. The chemical-arms watchdog organization oversees implementation of the CWC treaty.
The country to date has eradicated 78 percent of its chemical stockpile, Üzümcü said.
“We know that there are certain technical difficulties in destroying chemical weapons,” he said during a visit to Moscow. “We hope that this process will be over” by the end of next year.
- 1 How Ron Wyden Banned Internet Taxes Forever
- 2 Obama’s Second-Term Agenda Hits a Roadblock: the Supreme Court
- 3 John Kasich Dismisses Climate Change As ‘Some Theory That’s Not Proven’
- 4 Obamacare Will Reduce Income Inequality, but Quietly
- 5 I Did Improv With the ‘Jeopardy Villain,’ and He’s Exactly as He Appears on Television
What We're Following See More »
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.
UPDATED: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) will not be playing the role of Ralph Nader in this year’s election. Speaking in Dallas today, Webb said, “We looked at the possibility of an independent candidacy. Theoretically, it could be done, but it is enormously costly and time sensitive, and I don’t see the fundraising trajectory where we could make a realistic run.”
“The leaders of the Republican and Democratic national committees on Wednesday weighed in on the prospect of an independent presidential run by” former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I). “DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggested that the former New York City mayor’s priorities are already ‘well cared-for’ in the Democratic platform, while RNC leader Reince Priebus welcomed the idea, saying Bloomberg would siphon off votes from the Democratic candidate.”
Three hundred fifty-two, thanks to superdelegates pledged to Clinton, and the vagaries of the delegate allocation process in early states. Not bad, considering her results have been a virtual tie and a blowout loss.