New State Department Budget Hopes to Right Benghazi Wrongs

The administration wants an additional $600 million next year to increase security at its overseas facilities.

This photo taken on September 11, 2012 shows a vehicle and surrounding buildings smoldering after they were set on fire inside the US mission compound in Benghazi.
National Journal
Jordain Carney
March 12, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

The State De­part­ment is ask­ing Con­gress for $4.6 bil­lion to boost se­cur­ity at its em­bassies and con­su­lates, a re­quest that fol­lows 2012’s deadly at­tack on the de­part­ment’s fa­cil­ity in Benghazi, Libya.

The fund­ing would be used, State’s fisc­al 2015 budget plan says, for se­cur­ity staff and up­grades to in­fra­struc­ture, and for new em­bassies or con­su­late com­pounds. That’s $600 mil­lion more than the $4 bil­lion re­ques­ted for se­cur­ity up­grades last year.

A hand­ful of re­cent con­gres­sion­al re­ports have ques­tioned, if not out­right blamed, the de­part­ment for its lack of re­spons­ive­ness lead­ing up the 2012 at­tack that killed four Amer­ic­ans: Am­bas­sad­or to Libya Chris Stevens, U.S. For­eign Ser­vice In­form­a­tion Of­ficer Sean Smith, and em­bassy se­cur­ity per­son­nel Glen Do­herty and Tyr­one Woods.

Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry said in a let­ter sub­mit­ted with the budget re­quest that the ex­tra fund­ing would help “reg­u­lar­ize se­cur­ity en­hance­ments made” since a 2012 Benghazi Ac­count­ab­il­ity Re­view Board found that se­cur­ity in Benghazi was “grossly in­ad­equate” to with­stand the at­tack.

Kerry is go­ing to Con­gress this week to ex­plain his de­part­ment’s re­quest. Al­though the at­tack happened while Hil­lary Clin­ton headed the State De­part­ment, staffers say Kerry will face scru­tiny over State’s se­cur­ity prac­tices and if, or how, they’ve been im­proved in the roughly 18 months since Benghazi.

“The fail­ures of Benghazi can be summed up this way: The Amer­ic­ans serving in Libya were vul­ner­able; the State De­part­ment knew they were vul­ner­able; and no one in the ad­min­is­tra­tion really did any­thing about it,” ac­cord­ing to a 2014 re­port by the Sen­ate In­tel­li­gence Com­mit­tee.

Fol­low­ing up on a re­com­mend­a­tion from the re­view board re­port, the de­part­ment’s budget backs an in­ter­agency ef­fort to provide $2.2 bil­lion for cap­it­al se­cur­ity con­struc­tion.

What We're Following See More »
BACKING OUT ON BERNIE
Trump Won’t Debate Sanders After All
2 days ago
THE LATEST

Trump, in a statement: “Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. ... I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”

AKNOWLEDGING THE INEVITABLE
UAW: Time to Unite Behind Hillary
3 days ago
THE DETAILS

"It's about time for unity," said UAW President Dennis Williams. "We're endorsing Hillary Clinton. She's gotten 3 million more votes than Bernie, a million more votes than Donald Trump. She's our nominee." He called Sanders "a great friend of the UAW" while saying Trump "does not support the economic security of UAW families." Some 28 percent of UAW members indicated their support for Trump in an internal survey.

Source:
AP KEEPING COUNT
Trump Clinches Enough Delegates for the Nomination
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign. Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the convention."

Source:
TRUMP FLOATED IDEA ON JIMMY KIMMEL’S SHOW
Trump/Sanders Debate Before California Primary?
3 days ago
THE LATEST
CAMPAIGNS INJECTED NEW AD MONEY
California: It’s Not Over Yet
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"Clinton and Bernie Sanders "are now devoting additional money to television advertising. A day after Sanders announced a new ad buy of less than $2 million in the state, Clinton announced her own television campaign. Ads featuring actor Morgan Freeman as well as labor leader and civil rights activist Dolores Huerta will air beginning on Fridayin Fresno, Sacramento, and Los Angeles media markets. Some ads will also target Latino voters and Asian American voters. The total value of the buy is about six figures according to the Clinton campaign." Meanwhile, a new poll shows Sanders within the margin of error, trailing Clinton 44%-46%.

Source:
×