A key monitoring agency began debating Syria’s revised plan to turn over warfare chemicals in a closely watched disarmament effort, Reuters reports.
The Syrian government’s latest proposal for removing the substances was the focus of a Tuesday discussion at the multinational governing body of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in The Hague. The operation’s top international overseer said the government in Damascus had endorsed a 60-day timeline to complete its remaining chemical shipments, the Associated Press reported on Tuesday.
“We anticipate a lot of action in the month of March,” said Sigrid Kaag, special coordinator of the U.N.-OPCW operation. She added that a goal to destroy the entire stockpile by June 30 is still within reach.
Western envoys, though, contend that the regime must finish the transfers this month in order to allow other countries enough time to finish neutralizing the materials by the end-of-June objective date, according to Reuters. International authorities last year called for the handover to wrap up by early February, and President Bashar Assad’s regime has blamed delays on rebel threats to materials being transported across Syria’s embattled territory to a coastal pick-up point.
The chemical-disarmament agency on Tuesday said Assad’s government had placed two additional arms caches in international custody since last week. With the latest transfers, the regime has surrendered roughly one-third of its entire declared stockpile and just over a fifth of its deadliest substances, the organization said in a statement.
OPCW Director General Ahmet Üzümcü said “it will be important to maintain this newly created momentum.”
“For its part, the Syrian government has reaffirmed its commitment to implement the removal operations in a timely manner,” he added in comments to the 41-nation OPCW Executive Council.
What We're Following See More »
An estimated $15.6 billion, "according to a Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration report."
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) “is the subject of an ongoing investigation by the FBI and … the Justice Department” for potentially improper contributions to his 2013 campaign, including while he was a Clinton Global Initiative board member. ... Among the McAuliffe donations that drew the interest of the investigators was $120,000 from” former Chinese legislator Wang Wenliang. “U.S. election law prohibits foreign nationals from donating to … elections. … But Wang holds U.S. permanent resident status.”
"Donald Trump is reviving some of the ugliest political chapters of the 1990s with escalating personal attacks on Bill Clinton's character, part of a concerted effort to smother Hillary Clinton 's campaign message with the weight of decades of controversy. Trump's latest shot came Monday when he released an incendiary Instagram video that includes the voices of two women who accused the former president of sexual assault, underscoring the presumptive Republican nominee's willingness to go far beyond political norms in his critique of his likely Democratic rival. ...In one recent interview, Trump said another topic of potential concern is the suicide of former White House aide Vincent Foster, which remains the focus of intense and far-fetched conspiracy theories on the Internet."
"The head of security for the Transportation Security Administration, Kelly Hoggan, has been removed from his position after a hearing about the agency's management, the House Oversight Committee says." Deputy assistant administrator Darby LaJoye will take over for Hoggan on a temporary basis.
"Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx has appointed a veteran legal insider with strong personal ties to the Obama administration to serve as his special adviser focused exclusively on fixing the Washington region’s troubled Metro system. Kathryn Thomson, who was expected to leave her job as the Department of Transportation’s top lawyer, instead will stay on as Foxx’s special adviser on Metro oversight." She'll start this week.