Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is expected to offer a sneak peak of the Defense Department’s fiscal 2015 budget request later this month.
Sources told Reuters that on Feb. 24 the Defense secretary would outline the funding priorities for the department, which received some relief from the sequester cuts in December’s budget agreement but still — like the rest of the government — faces a tight fiscal climate.
Officials previously said they would request $542 billion for the upcoming fiscal year, but December’s budget agreement put base spending for the Pentagon at roughly $498 billion, leaving officials to cut roughly $44 billion.
Hagel has sidestepped answering direct questions about where the department would cut, but he suggested that officials couldn’t target just one area and that there would be across-the-board adjustments.
The White House is expected to release the 2015 fiscal year budget on March 4.